Switched from Ubuntu to MX-Linux. Now can't install Avidemux from Github anymore

Started by thursdaychild, September 08, 2021, 12:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thursdaychild

Hello,

lately I switched from my Ubuntu-Mate to MX-Linux (Debian). Now I wanted to install Avidemux, but that doesn't work anymore.

Can anyone give me a concrete help, how the commandline has to look alike.

Under Ubuntu it was like that:

Quote1. sudo apt-get purge "avidemux*"
2. sudo apt-get update
3. sudo apt-get install git
4. git clone https://github.com/mean00/avidemux2.git
5. cd ~/avidemux2
6. git submodule update --init --recursive
7. git pull --recurse
8. bash createDebFromSourceUbuntu.bash

What do I have to change now, that it works again?

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: thursdaychild on September 08, 2021, 12:58:47 PMNow I wanted to install Avidemux, but that doesn't work anymore.

"MX Linux" claims to be based on Debian Stable, but due to release of Debian 11 a few weeks ago, the previous Stable has become Oldstable, which means that repository information needs to be adjusted. This process is interactive only when "apt" is used, not "apt-get". I could imagine that this plays a role – you might want to replace all calls to apt-get with apt.

In doubt: please post the error message you get in full.

thursdaychild

The thing is, that the installation-procress runs thru until the end without any error-messages.
But after finishing I can't see any icons which I could click on the desktop. And also I have no idea where the program-code was written to.
Any hints?

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: thursdaychild on September 10, 2021, 01:33:17 AMThe thing is, that the installation-procress runs thru until the end without any error-messages.

In other words, compilation and installation were successful.

Please note that packaging as .deb serves the single purpose of facilitating the later uninstall when installed for all users, the packages don't include any dependency information. You don't need to install if you need Avidemux just for youself, it can be run from the build directory using a script based on run_avidemux_template.sh file, placed into a folder which is listed in your $PATH variable and made executable.

Quote from: thursdaychild on September 10, 2021, 01:33:17 AMBut after finishing I can't see any icons which I could click on the desktop.

I don't think it is expected to produce any. You can use the .desktop file from avidemux/qt4/xdg_data.

Quote from: thursdaychild on September 10, 2021, 01:33:17 AMAnd also I have no idea where the program-code was written to.

https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/amd64/apcs02.en.html

The command to run Avidemux is

avidemux3_qt5
then. Again, if you run Avidemux without installation from the build directory and put a wrapper script based on the template to a directory in your $PATH, the command will be the name of the wrapper script.

thursdaychild

It's solved meanwhile. I just had to generate some icons ("symlinks") for the main-program and the jobs-queue.

The path for

• the main-program is:
      /usr/bin/aivdemux3_qt5
and
  • the jobs-queue is:
      /usr/bin/avidemux3_jobs_qt5