News:

--

Main Menu

Setting $TMPDIR

Started by Blues, May 24, 2022, 04:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blues

I have ~/temp in tmpfs, while systemwide /tmp is on SSD. Audacity and some other apps can be configured by user to use any directory for temporary files. Any ideas how to set Avidemux up to use my user ~/temp? I do not want to redefine the $TMPDIR for my user.

eumagga0x2a

If I am not mistaken, Avidemux doesn't use $TMPDIR during video processing (unless you ask it to store output there, of course). $TMPDIR is used only during build.

Blues

I saw plenty of writing in /tmp during processing, may be part of audio processing.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Blues on May 24, 2022, 06:55:34 PMI saw plenty of writing in /tmp during processing, may be part of audio processing.

Did you re-encode audio? If yes, please provide filter settings and encoder config. I am not familiar with the inner working of the rubberband library, recently incorporated into Avidemux. It would be also interesting to compare an Avidemux build prior to the merge of audio filter enhancements and past of it.

szlldm

After a quick re-encode test with custom audio stretch, i did not saw any writing into /tmp

eumagga0x2a

So please provide some info about processing in Avidemux which was causing a plenty of writing to /tmp.

Quote from: Blues on May 24, 2022, 04:10:34 PMI do not want to redefine the $TMPDIR for my user.

You can always set an env var for a specific process only, can't you? Not that I expect this to be relevant or needed for Avidemux, but just in principle.

Blues

OK, thanks. I can't reproduce it. I saw it with some specific audio processing, but now it is gone. Or maybe I can't remember what exactly I was doing when I saw it. I saw files appearing and disappearing real quick. Meanwhile I did git pull and built the latest Avidemux, maybe something has changed.