Request: More options for FFV1-encoding

Started by roger-bratseth, February 19, 2023, 07:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roger-bratseth

I am using Avidemux in an archival project where we try to preserve a VHS-collection from a local TV-station that operated between 1985-1995. We capture uncompressed SD-SDI via a Decklink-card to a quicktime-wrapper/file-format, and then use Avidemux to edit out the different stories as archive candidates, and save them as FFV1-encoded Matroska-files.

But I recently discovered that Avidemux changes the pixel format from "uyvy422(smpte170m/bt470bg/bt709, top coded first (swapped))" to "yuv420p", and this is not desirable. (and not lossless, which is important for archives)

Would appreciate the option to have full control of the FFV1-settings, as Avidemux is the best, simplest and fastest tool I have found for doing simple edits like this.

Best regards,
Roger Bratseth, Norway

eumagga0x2a

Very much wanted, would imply almost a rewrite of the application as the internal exchange format is YV12 (8-bit planar yuv420 format with U and V planes swapped).

RocketJet

You could try VirtualDub2.
There is an FFV1 codec available for that.
You may need to install the K-Lite Codec pack.

roger-bratseth

Thanks for quick and informative answers.
I have tested VirtualDub2, and it seems to do the job. Although the default audio encoding (direct stream copy, PCM, 48kHz, 2ch floating) in Matroska- or AVI-wrapper will not play back on Avidemux, which was strange.

Cheers,
Roger :)

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: roger-bratseth on February 21, 2023, 03:57:46 PMAlthough the default audio encoding (direct stream copy, PCM, 48kHz, 2ch floating) in Matroska- or AVI-wrapper will not play back on Avidemux

This is why. Only signed integer 16 or 24 bits PCM formats are supported.

RocketJet

You can change the VD2 audio setting to 16 bit integer
using: Menu - Audio - Conversion.
You can also save your processing settings to a file,
to reload for the next session.