News:

--

Main Menu

index file generated

Started by wfz, July 28, 2023, 02:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfz

Why do some videos generate index files (extension: idx2) when opening? What is the use of these idx2 files?
When it generates an idx2 file, I noticed that it has corrupted frames (with blurry areas on these screens) when saved after editing. Is there a way to know which timecodes it has those corrupted frames (eg. from 00:02:20 to 00:02:23)?

Thanks,

eumagga0x2a

Avidemux dumps index for formats which are especially slow to index – for MPEG-PS and MPEG-TS – to a text file. This allows for an almost instant loading of these files when they are opened again. Writing index in text form allows also the user to correct Avidemux when it misdetecs something like properties of an audio track of the frame rate of the video.

The index has nothing to do with corrupted frames after editing, also corrupted frames usually don't look blurry but instead blotchy / exhibit block artifacts. If you re-encode and the picture is generally blurry, you have missed a few dozens of posts here in forum where I explained over and over again that users should disable post-processing (I'll take care of invalidating old configs regarding post-processing settings soon).

You can identify frames which are not decoded properly by seeking to a keyframe directly before, then noting its number printed to Avidemux log ("Decoding up to intra frame x"), then opening script console and looking for the matching PTS in the list of size nbFrames output by

ed = Editor()
for frame in range(x, x+nbFrames):
    ed.printFrameInfo(frame)

A tedious task.