News:

--

Main Menu

Non-starter for Newbie

Started by millreef, January 05, 2012, 08:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

millreef

Hi Avidemux and users,
I eagerly downloaded Avideomux 2.5.6 after reading a good review on Gizmo's site.
However when I tried to open the prog. I got a box saying " Avideomux 2.5.6 has encountered a problem and needs to close".
After a few more attempts I uninstalled and downloaded again, but from a different site(Sourceforge).
The same thing happened.
I then uninstalled and  downloaded an earlier version(2.5.5).
The same thing happened!!
Anyone else having trouble?
Anyone have a solution?
By the way I use xp.
I'd love to try this program.
Any help would be appreciated.

Jan Gruuthuse

Is your CPU an AMD and what model? Flavor XP is it Home/Professional 32-bit/64-bit?

millreef

CPU  N270, Intel Atom  -  Home 32-bit

Jan Gruuthuse

Can you post the admlog.txt? Could give information for developers what isd going on?
QuoteWhere do I find the log file?

The log file ('admlog.txt'), along with the crash project file created by avidemux when it b0rks ('crash.js'), can be found in the '%APPDATA%/avidemux' folder. Entering %APPDATA%/avidemux/admlog.txt directly in the windows explorer address bar loads the log file in your text editor (usually Notepad).

millreef

Apologies in advance - I'm no expert.
I entered it in WE address bar and box saying "cannot find file etc " came up.

millreef

Still no joy.
In fact in the Applications Data folder there is no aviemux folder.

Jan Gruuthuse

first to set is to show hidden files or mark it in options for search
If your XP is in English:
C:\Documents and Settings\Jan\Application Data\avidemux\
Jan is my username if millreef is your username for that computer on XP
replace Jan by millreef

If your windows is not English/Dutch, Documents and Settings could be a translated name in language of that XP version.

millreef

As I meant to say in my last post, hidden files are set to show.
Still "cannot find file " etc comes up.

Jan Gruuthuse

And if you search for avidemux on the full hard disc or computer? don't search in my documents, search for file or folders?

millreef

Jan Gruuthuse

This is very weird, it should at least show the installed program folder. Can you find someone local to help, friend, family (computer geek)?

millreef

Maybe.
Thanks for trying Jan anyway.
I'll be buying a new higher spec. laptop soon, so maybe it'll work on that.
I still want to try the prog.
Best wishes.

Agent_007

AFAIK %appdata%\avidemux folder is generated during runtime. So it would indicate that the crash is happening before that. Only way to figure out the actual crash section would be to use gdb to pinpoint the problematic section.
I am away between 15th of May - 15th of June. (yes, I am playing D3)

grgnbeers

Help please.
I  have the same problem as millreef, done the same things in hope to correct it.
CPU: Pentium 4, 3.2 GHz   
I am not sure how to go about to resurrect this topic, and any advice will be appreciated. I really would like to try the program to edit my .VOB (MPEG2) files.Thank you.