News:

--

Main Menu

Avidemux 2.5.6 binary for Lion?

Started by samuele, January 07, 2012, 08:12:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samuele

Where can I find a version already compiled for Lion of Avidemux 2.5.6?
Kindly can someone send it to me. Thank you.

styrol

AFAIK there are no static binaries available at the moment.

Jan Gruuthuse

If you want to you can build these yourself read this and have a look if this is something for you: Howto build Avidemux2 using Homebrew on Snow Leopard or Lion <- click

samuele

I think I'll wait for someone to make it public.

samuele

Has anyone compiled Avidemux 2.5.6 and can pass the binary file?
I tried to follow the instructions with Homebrew but I can not create the binary file.
Thanks

nibbles

It's challenging to install Homebrew into /Users rather than /usr/local.
Even the wiki says you do so at your own peril, but sometimes there's no choice.
Some short answers:
- I have tabs open in Firefox on how to bundle a standalone application but have a lot to learn.
- The build can't find libvpx for you because pkg-config isn't working correctly.
- I noticed from the log you posted a message showing the main problem:
Warning: /Users/sm/Development/homebrew/bin is not in your PATH
- Please fix the PATH issue in your .profile and open a new terminal window so it uses it.
- Then lets start over by uninstalling your brews and updating Homebrew first:
brew rm -f `brew list`
brew update

- Then run the Doctor to prove to yourself that your install is happy.
brew doctor
- Paste the output of brew doctor into a gist if there are problems.
- After you have adjusted your path and brew doctor is happy, start with two basics:

brew -v install pkg-config
brew -v install cmake

- If all goes well then move on
brew install qt
brew -v install --use-llvm avidemux

- If it still chokes (it shouldn't) on libvpx and you don't need it, a quick fix is to build avidemux without vpx:
brew unlink libvpx
brew -v install --use-llvm avidemux

Good luck.

samuele

Ok. I'll try again.

But... why it is not released the latest version already compiled as happens with Windows?

If I fail again next attempt, perhaps I'll change the program for editing video.

nibbles

It would be nice to be able to offer a precompiled binary, I agree.
I'm sure if you could spare a Macbook for the developers that
they would be happy to fix up the code and compress one for you.
As far as trying out other video editing software on OSX, I encourage
that too, because that's how you found Avidemux after all.

styrol

QuoteI'm sure if you could spare a Macbook for the developers that they would be happy to fix up the code and compress one for you.
I'm not sure. AFAIK "mean" has plenty of work as the developer (under Linux), other people have compiled the source code and built static binaries for Windows and MacOS X (in the past for OS X this work was done by "surfer").

Quote from: samuele on February 16, 2012, 02:32:28 PMperhaps I'll change the program for editing video.

You may try QuickTime based MPEG Streamclip, which have similar functionality as Avidemux (besides filters).

nibbles

I think surfer is afk, and Mean doesn't have a mac.  When I bypassed the bootstrap-osx and all the scripts/001- thru scripts/200, I essentially nullified a year of someone's effort.  I can imagine they are not thrilled to wipe that all away and do a clean install of Lion and Homebrew.  Add to that CMake's lack of docs and Avidemux's zoo of libraries in dozens of locations constantly in flux on Apple, and the whole thing becomes Shakespearean.

styrol

If surfer is afk, then all the more your work is appreciated. I'm still on 10.5 and don't wanna mess up with macports, so I still use Avidemux 2.5.2 (but mainly MPEGStreamClip and SimpleMovieX on my Mac) respectively 2.6 on Windows (I use Avidemux mainly on Windows to support Windows user).

A static binary without dependencies would be fine indeed (and a lot of work for you to do I think). Otherwise when I switch to (Mountain) Lion one day, I will try your homebrew solution. Thank you for your great job.

DJRumpy

There is an easy fix for getting this working under Mountain Lion and Avidemux 2.5.4, where the application immediately quits after launching. According to Superuser.com it is an issue with the versions of libxml.2.dylib and libiconv.2.dylib in the Avidemux package.

Simply right click the package and select Show Contents. Then delete the two files located in Contents/Resources/lib folder. This will make Avidemux use the versions shipped with Lion. After doing this, Avidemux loads correctly.

I've verified this works.

nibbles