News:

--

Main Menu

Editing Painfully Slow?

Started by applebyter, February 26, 2012, 11:35:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

applebyter

I've just download the 64 bit version of the latest stable release for Win 7.  I've tried to edit a couple of files produced as recordings from Win Media Center and converted to AVI by MCEBuddy with no recoding.  Trying to edit these files is almost impossible.  They open fine, with a warning about needing to rebuild the index.  Avidemux takes a minute to do this but when I try to seek within the file it takes ages to respond.  Dragging the slider below the preview window does nothing.  Pressing play and trying to use the fast forward and reverse shuttle gives me maybe a 20% increase in playback speed.  Trying to jump to a frame or time position takes minutes of processing before anything happens.  Trying to just move forward or back one frame is very slow.  Typically it will move 1 or 2 frames then spend minutes processing before moving another frame.

Is there something I need to do to prepare the file for editing?  My machine is an i7 with 8GB of RAM and a SATA 3 SSD.  It is hardly lacking in horsepower.

Agent_007

Did you try 32 bit AVIdemux builds?
I am away between 15th of May - 15th of June. (yes, I am playing D3)

Jan Gruuthuse

Recordings SD or HD TV? MCEBuddy 1.X or 2.X? Xvid AVI or DivX AVI?

applebyter

I'll try a 32 bit build when I get a chance, but I don't see how that could affect speed by more than 1 or 2 percent.
I've tried both SD and HD recordings, I haven't noticed any significant difference in performance between types of files.  I'm using MCEBuddy 2.X (the final release). The files are convered using no recoding so they are MPEG AVI.  I've attached the information from MediaInfo for an HD recording.

Jan Gruuthuse

Something goes wrong? Using the slider should move you in x-times real time trough the video clip without a problem?
Move video clips off the SSD drive to hard disc. See if this helps?
On this website http://revision3.com/tzdaily/tweetsheet you find a HD mp4 videoclip HD 23.2 MB:
http://videos.revision3.com/revision3/web/tekzilla/tzdaily/1166/tekzilla--tzdaily--1166--tweetsheet--hd720p30.h264.mp4
Do you have the same problem with this video clip? You should not have. Use up and down keyboard keys.

applebyter

I get the same problem with the clips if they are on the SSD or hard drive.  The Tekzilla video seems to work fine.  Other MP4s converted with an earlier version of MCEBuddy can be editted easily but their audio is out of sync in Avidemux, but not in a player.  Video files convered with the most recent version of MCEBuddy using no recode causes the extremely slow editting.  The slider doesn't respond at all.  The up arrow key doesn't respond and down arrow only moves back to the beginning of the file.  I've noticed that playback in Avidemux of the files that are slow to edit is very jerky, but not with files that edit properly.  I haven't tried MP4s convered by the current version of MCEBuddy as they all seem to have audio sync problems.

Jan Gruuthuse

Try MP4 container instead of AVI. Or upload a 20 MB sample of the original Win Media Center recording. Perhaps the developer has time to look at this and is intrigued enough to look at it?

applebyter

Thanks.  It seems like it is probably a problem with the current version of MCEBuddy.  I've got a thread about this in its forum so I'll continue this there.