Avidemux doesn't save videos correctly.

Started by Fleabag, March 14, 2012, 08:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fleabag

Whenever I try to save a portion of a video Avidemux seems to get stuck in a loop of some sort because the estimated completion time in minutes keeps increasing, but yet there in NO increase in the total video and/or audio size (they stay at zero). Please help.

zakk

how? please give mediainfo details or sample.

Fleabag

Here are the samples that you asked for, It should be noted that Avidemux didn't start out acting like that.

Jan Gruuthuse

MediaInfo<- click details of source. Looks like trying to process some content with protection on it (DRM<- click).
I'm not saying: it is or that you're doing something illegal. It is stuck at frame 5.

Fleabag

I was just trying to process something that I recorded from the TV, and it does that with any other video that I have tried, but the thing is that Avidemux didn't have that problem when I first started using it. So how do I resolve that problem?

Jan Gruuthuse

When video is loaded in avidemux is it still playing in avidemux? Start avidemux from terminal, so you see terminal output of avidemux, could give you indication what goes wrong? Have you changed setting in avidemux preferences: video: display?

Fleabag

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on March 15, 2012, 02:44:14 PM
When video is loaded in avidemux is it still playing in avidemux? Start avidemux from terminal, so you see terminal output of avidemux, could give you indication what goes wrong? Have you changed setting in avidemux preferences: video: display?
Would it help if I included a copy of the log file, and if so, where would I find it? Having said that, I'm not sure what to look for as far as what the cause of the problem is. And yes, the video still plays in Avidemux.

nibbles

We still don't know if his Vector Linux supplied build of 2.5.6 logs correctly.  2.5.6 doesn't log to the terminal when the qt gui is run (on my system at least).  His last VL version, 2.5.4 didn't log, which was irritating.

file:///var/log/syslog

or

file:///var/log/messages

should have them.  Paste those info Firefox if you want to make some headway.  At some point you are going to want to run this in a terminal

avidemux2_cli --help

and gist the output of all three of those.

Fleabag

The end result of the first code is: https://gist.github.com/2047668, the end result of the second code is: https://gist.github.com/2047671, and the end result of the third code is: https://gist.github.com/2047691.

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: nibbles on March 15, 2012, 08:35:18 PM
2.5.6 doesn't log to the terminal when the qt gui is run (on my system at least).  His last VL version, 2.5.4 didn't log, which was irritating.
Under most linux you can open a terminal and start avidemux (2.5.6 or 2.6) from there.
/usr/bin/avidemux2_qt4
If you are lucky in the terminal menu you can change the settings (preferences): Scrollback [V] Unlimited: all output stays in window and is not cut at the last preset 512 lines? While working with avidemux, you can follow in terminal window what is going on. If needed you can from the terminal menu select all output and copy this and paste to where you need this.

Jan Gruuthuse

not even launching avidemux from a terminal? Don't start root terminal! one of these:
https://vector.ecosq.com/ic/HowTos/HowToBook/ChapCommandLine/startTerm

Fleabag

I have discovered that when Avidemix is run independently of the terminal, it has a totally different appearance than when run in terminal mode, as can be seen in the following two images (the first image is without the terminal):

Jan Gruuthuse

In the menu: Help: About it should tell you what avidemux version is running. Bottom looks like QT, top one could be GTK. When you slide upwards in the terminal window it should tell you to.

Jan Gruuthuse

On the terminal window, do you have a menu bar there? Check if you can change the settings of scroll back for this window, normal it is limited to a certain amount,  change to keep all the terminal lines and not just the last ones. Concerning the video, load it and keep an eye on terminal for what is going on, it should display some messages while stuck on that 5th frame.

nibbles

@Jan Nice trick to get the gui to log to the terminal.  I forgot that.

@Flea Do like Jan said: increase how much history you can scoll back to.

Some information you may not know: Avidemux 2 builds in three forms,

1) avidemux2_cli
2) avidemux2_qt4
3) avidemux2_gtk

The first is the Command Line Interface.  It only works in the terminal.
Your top picture is the GTK one, bottom is Qt4, like Jan said.

This will start the qt4 version:
avidemux2_qt4

This will start the GTK version:
avidemux2_gtk

Try both.  The Qt4 will probably work better.  Gist the terminal output.  If you can't get it all, increase  your history.