Merge video file with mp3 file - What do I need to know?

Started by Grobe, April 01, 2012, 05:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grobe

Hi.

I've found Avidemux very useful for mixing sounds into timelapse videos. I do have some general questions avout merging mp3 files with video files:

How close must the length of the audio track be compared with video track? If my video track is 1 minute sharp, I'm I allowed to merge an mp3 file that is 61 or 59 seconds long duration? Or must clip it so that file match the exact length of the video file?

I like to use Lame in conjunction to "Lame Fronted" to convert MP3 from wav with variable bitrate.
I know (think) that most vides files has an audio track (or stream?) with fixed bitrate.
A'm I able to merge VBR encoded mp3-files with any video file?

2b
In Lame Frontend, there is an option called "Enforce ISO bitstream". Does that option make it more likely that merging the MP3 file with a video file will succed?

For the question I've asked - will the anwer depends on the container format?
Ie. Will support of VBR mp3's depend on wheter the video is contained within an avi or mov container?

Anything else that is good to know?

Thanks

Jan Gruuthuse

Audacity has the possibility to work with frames instead of time index? source video working, audio track problem? Pay attention to the remarks of styrol in 2nd posting

Grobe

Thanks.

I do already use Audacity as my sound editor. However I seldom make very long vide clips so I cannot see having any use of "frames". Still It may be a nice thing to use in longer clips.

Any ideas on my question 1 to 4?

nibbles

Hi Grobe.  Good questions.  You might search Doom9 to see if they've been answered before.  They're fairly general.  Yes vbr mp3 will go into an avi, but there are caveats that I don't know.  I also don't if Avidemux will pad or truncate the audio.  I have a feeling that Avidemux2 will behave differently from Avidemux3 (one uses frames, the other uses timecodes as the basis for lining things up).