AviDemux to combine MPEG + WAV?

Started by yetanotherlogin, April 03, 2012, 09:25:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yetanotherlogin

Hello

As a test, I recorded a conference with an entry level camcorder and a Tascam digital sound recorder, and I'd like to combine the two files into a single file. The Tascam was sitting in front of a loudspeaker, so the sound quality is very good, while the video quality is good enough.

Here are infos about the two files:

• Video file : MPEG-1/2 Video, 720x576, frame rate 25 + A52 Audio (aka AC3)(a52), stereo, 48000 Hz, 384 kb/s
  • Sound file : Audio PCM S16 LE (araw), Channels 2, Sample rate 44100 Hz, Bits per sample 16, Bit rate 1411 kb/s

I have zero experience with that sort of thing, and need to know if AviDemux is the right application for this. If not, which free/affordable application for Windows would you recommend?

Thank you.

Jan Gruuthuse

If avidemux opens the video file, and the audio file causes problem, you did not tell the used containers of each?
Drop the audio file in audacity and have it exported there into wav or mp3 and export this in to audiofile accepted by avidemux.

yetanotherlogin

Sorry about that. The video file is .MOV and the sound file is .WAV.

I'll have to figure out how to sync the two files so there's no drift/shift.

Can AviDemux let me do this?

Agent_007

You can use the Shift box for sync adjusting.
I am away between 15th of May - 15th of June. (yes, I am playing D3)

yetanotherlogin

Thanks for the tip. I'll experiment with the Shift option and see how it goes.

yetanotherlogin

I must be doing something wrong, because it doesn't change anything :-/

With the default settings (Video=Copy, Audio=Copy), I selected Audio > Filters, but AviDemux said: "Audio filters cannot be applied in Copy mode. To apply filters the audio must be transcoded."

So I chose "Audio=PCM", followed by Audio > Filters, where I checked "Time shift (ms)", set it to "5000", and expected the external WAV file to be moved 5s or way or another.

But when I clicked on the Play button, nothing changed: The sound still starts at the same point in the video.

What do I need to do to actually shift the sound around?

Thank you.

Agent_007

I am away between 15th of May - 15th of June. (yes, I am playing D3)

yetanotherlogin

No, I thought it would let me see/hear the result right away without having to save it.

If it requires saving the file everytime until I get it right, it's going to take a lot of time syncing the two tracks. Is that how AviDemux works?

Jan Gruuthuse

If you know the time need before the track should start. Edit the track (wav?) you want to add. And insert the required silence in front of that track. You could do this with a sound editor like audacity <- click or a similar one.