No sound after appending 2 avi files

Started by Roadie, July 26, 2012, 12:12:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadie

Joined 2 avi files together.  Video works fine, no issue, however there is zero audio anywhere on the combined file.  I can open each of the 2 files separately and when I look at File, Information I see the audio codec (AC3), Duration and Size.  Each of the two files play perfectly and the exact same audio information (except Duration) is listed for each of the two files.  While joining the files the popup window shows an audio size of 0 and when I open the combined file and look at File Information there is no audio listed.

Using 2.5.6 and have it set to Copy for both Video and Audio.  Format at bottom says AVI.

Is there a setting somewhere that is telling it to not copy the audio?  What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Jan Gruuthuse

Guessing, you need to check if this is the case?
If part 1 is not ending at keyframe and you join part 1 + part 2, errors are due to happen.
Try this load part 1 goto end of video part 1, slider to the right and right arrow key presses until it won't go any further.
Mark this end with ] keyboard key, marker B
Now press 3 to 4 times keyboard arrow down, position goes back
Now press 4 to 5 times keyboard arrow up, position goes forward, until it won't go any further with that up arrow key.
Mark this position with [, Marker A
Press simultaneous [Ctrl][X], this will cut that marked section
Save NewPart 1
Append Part 2
Save NewVideo
Check if audio is fine in NewVideo?

Ozdemon

I have exactly the same problem. Each file plays fine. However, if I join the files I have no sound at all i.e. in either part. I tried the suggested solution which sounds very promising for the situation where there is no sound in part 2, but unfortunately it didn't solve my problem.

Jan Gruuthuse

Used operating system? Version of avidemux and revision number if showing? Can you upload 2 small avi's where this problem occurs?
5 second / 20 MB sample for each would do. Upload these to rapidshare (don't use pro, and it should be free) or a similar upload service.

jimlad

I had problems mixing 2 different file types (eg raw AVI + mpg) loosing sound etc and crashes.

What worked however was to convert each file individually to the final required format, then merge them via COPY, so that there is no loss of quality.

styrol

QuoteI had problems mixing 2 different file types (eg raw AVI + mpg)
Files must come from the same source (same resolution, same encoding etc.)! The MOV container is able to store more than one video and audio tracks from different source. But only QuickTime Player is able to play such files.