[SOLVED] [2.5.6/XPSP3] Questions + suggestions

Started by yetanotherlogin, April 20, 2012, 02:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yetanotherlogin

Hello,

1. An audio codec in an AVI file was a problem, so I used AviDemux to convert the file by keeping the video as-is (Copy) while converting the audio to AAC.

Am I correct in understanding that, in the left pane, when changing from "Copy" to some other codec (video or audio), AviDemux will decompress the track and recompress it with the required codec?

2. After saving/closing/reopening the file with "Video=Copy" and "Audio=AAC", I proceeded to select a piece with the A/B buttons, selected "Video=Copy" and "Audio=Copy" (now that the sound had been converted to AAC"), and saved the file: When watching the file in VLC, the sound is faster than the picture and it's "clickety" (for lack of a better word).

Reopening the original, selecting the segment with A/B, saving the segment with "Video=Copy" and "Audio=AAC" solved the issue: Why did the previous step end with wrong audio?

3. I have two suggestions to make:

• Add tooltip to the buttons in the navigation bar: I can never remember the meaning of the three first sets that go backward/forward, and have to read the wiki
  • In the About dialog, make the www.avidemux.org clickable

Thank you.

styrol

QuoteAm I correct in understanding that, in the left pane, when changing from "Copy" to some other codec (video or audio), AviDemux will decompress the track and recompress it with the required codec?
Yep, as long as you do not use a non-lossy codec (e.g. PCM, huffYUV)

QuoteWhen watching the file in VLC, the sound is faster than the picture and it's "clickety" (for lack of a better word). Reopening the original, selecting the segment with A/B, saving the segment with "Video=Copy" and "Audio=AAC" solved the issue: Why did the previous step end with wrong audio?
You have to submit some info: container format of the target video and video and audio encoding of the source video. Use the i button in Avidemux to determine this.

If your dealing with h.264 content (MPEG-4 AVC), Avidemux 2.6 is the better choice to avoid AV sync issues.

yetanotherlogin

Thanks for the help.

So decompression/recompression will occur if the audio was compressed, ie. not recorded in lossless formats like PCM or huffYUV. It seems obvious in retrospect, but I had to ask :-)

The source file is .MOV (QuickTime, I guess):
video=Codec 4CC: MPEG, size 720x576, 25.000fps (VLC says: MPEG-1/2 Video (MPEG), 720x576, 25 fps)
audio=Codec AC3, Stereo, constant bitrate, 48KHz (VLC says: A52 Audio (aka AC3) (a52), Stereo, 48KHz)

Target file: AVI.

I couldn't locate the latest 2.6 binary for Windows, as Gruntster's site is 404: "Your request for http://www.razorbyte.com.au/avidemux/ could not be fulfilled, because the domain name www.razorbyte.com.au could not be resolved." Is it available for download elsewhere?

Thank you.

Jan Gruuthuse

styrol

QuoteIs it available for download elsewhere?
Just click on my link in my previous post which is the same link provided by Jan.

Concerning your MOV(MPEG-2/AC3) movie, I realized it's same subject posted here by you:
http://www.avidemux.org/smf/index.php?topic=10551.0
MPEG-2/AC3 is normally placed in MPEG-PS container (.mpg, .vob). You can put it in MKV, but it shouldn't be in MOV container at all.

yetanotherlogin

Thanks for the links + info. Indeed, when running AviDemux to turn the MOV container to MPEG-PS, I could open the file OK in Vegas.