News:

--

Main Menu

Video coders on 2.6

Started by macduke, May 10, 2012, 01:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macduke

Do you know if sooner or later in 2.6 the Xvid-64 video coder (in 2.5 "MPEG-4 ASP Xvid") will be reinserted?
Bye.

Jan Gruuthuse

Is that not already there? Video Output: MPEG4 ASP (xvid4)? Or am I missing something?

AQUAR

I've just installed the latest daily (avidemux_r8775_win64.7z) and the XVID encoder is still not included.
I use it on V2.5x all the time and just curious if this has been deleted on purpose by the developers.

Avidemux - still the best.   

Jan Gruuthuse

Is it not there? In ubuntu 12.04, 12.10 & 13.04 it is, see attached screen shot.
Perhaps you need to install:
- http://www.videolan.org/developers/x264.html
- http://download.videolan.org/pub/x264/binaries/

AQUAR

Thanks Jan.
That option is not there in the versions compiled for windows X64.

In V2.5x I can see the associated DLL's but not seen them in any V2.6x.
I presumed avidemux had everything self contained, but I'll install the videoLan x264 library
and see if that will activate this option.  However XVID is H263  and videolan x264 is H264 for AVC

Also missing libexpat-1.dll in the package (called by avidemuxcli.exe).

Jan Gruuthuse

You do use these: http://avidemux.org/nightly/ and not from another source?

x264 is the only one I add /update in ubuntu.
Could be some parameters are not passed on to avidemux_cli. You can check this by replacing avidemuxcli.exe by avidemux.exe in script/batch. Found on some occasions found saved tinypy project past better parameters when called from command line/batch with -run saved.py then others.

It is always confusing when not used often:
Video decoders
QuoteMPEG-4 SP/ASP (encoded e.g. with DivX, Xvid, FFmpeg MPEG-4 etc.)

Video encoders
QuotePlease note that Avidemux builds for Microsoft Windows usually come bundled with the optional, external encoders (such as x264 or Xvid), too, so you don't have to install them separately.
encoder   build in
-------   --------
x264       No
Xvid       No

Common myths
QuoteAvidemux does not use any external video decoders. That's why installing any video codec (for example DivX or Xvid) in the hopes of using it for decoding in Avidemux is a wasted effort (however, Avidemux can use Xvid for encoding). Official Avidemux packages for Microsoft Windows include all external encoders (like Xvid) and decoders and other libraries, so there are no dependencies for them. In particular, as a cross-platform application, it cannot use any DirectShow or VfW decoders or encoders, which are specific to Microsoft Windows.

So it could be I need an x264 installed to build linux packages.
So after all I'm a user and sometimes confused myself on this.

mean

Try the win32 version , ithink xvid is built in for that one

AQUAR

@ Jan
Yes, thats the repository I used.
I've copied the libexpat-1.dll from the 2.6.1 package and it seems happy now.
Not seen anything on how to install/integrate encoders to the avidemux binaries on the windows platform.
I thought this was only possible by recompiling from source code (beyond my ability).
As just another user I too get easily confused in setting up peripheral elements to Avidemux (particularly avisynth+plugins/avsproxy/avsproxygui).

@ mean
Thanks, I do use the 32 bit avidemux V2.5.6 on my x68 windows pc all the time to recode H264 AVC to H263 XVID, often via avisynth / avsproxygui to maintain audio sync. It works better than any commercial stuff I tried (IMHO).
In this case I was trying to avoid going to 32bit on a fresh 64 bit OS install and update the program at the same time.
My media player only plays H263 and maybe will work just fine with the H263 encoder included in avidemux v2.6.4.   

I can always install both 2.5 and 2.6 (unless they use the same configuration files).

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: AQUAR on July 12, 2013, 06:07:07 AM
>8 >8
I can always install both 2.5 and 2.6 (unless they use the same configuration files).
Both can be used alongside. 2.6 is called by avidemux3*, 2.5.6 by avidemux2*

AQUAR

Thanks Jan,

I'll install both 64 bit versions and see how things pan out wrt recoding AVC to XVID.
Hopefully Avisynth, Avsproxy and its GUI addon, are also 64 bit updated.

Jan Gruuthuse

For 2.6.4:
Quote from: mean on July 12, 2013, 05:08:25 AM

AQUAR

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on July 13, 2013, 04:08:51 AM
For 2.6.4:
Quote from: mean on July 12, 2013, 05:08:25 AM
Of course and nothing wrong with that, but as per reply to Mean's suggestion I want to stick to 64 bit applications.

Wrt to the previous question of running 2.5.6 along 2.6.4.
I now note that the zipped binary packages just call avidemux.exe rather than avidemux2.exe or avidemux3.exe.
AvsproxyGUI looks for avidemux2.exe so I need to rename to that if I want to use it.
So are avidemux configuration files tied to its file name or as dictated by program code?

Jan Gruuthuse

Dictated by program code and the used OS: 2.5.6 uses other location then 2.6 to store settings in linux. So I would guess it does the same in windows? Check if it does so in %APPDATA% probably avidemux and avidemux6?
The 32-bit recommendation as this has most likely the xvid enocder, 64-bit not. 32-bit should run on 64-bit windows.

AQUAR

Thanks Jan,

I'll verify that both versions can run independently under windows.
More than likely you are right in your assumption, as it would seem a sensible action by the developers.

Update: under windows the configuration files are located at C:\users\xxx\appdata\roaming\avidemux
32 bit and 64 bit of 2.56 uses "config"
32 bit and 64 bit of 2.6.4 uses "config2"
The storage structure is different for these files.

Implications on how combinations, of simultaneously running these avidemuxes, affect configuration settings are self explanatory.

Also it seems that avsproxy and avsproxygui supplied with 64bit avidemux are still 32 bit (as they run under wow64)
Thus no point installing 64 bit avisynth  for these applications.

Just mentioning these tidbits in case others are wondering the same things. 

macduke

It seems that we don't talk the same language.... :(

Xvid64 in not included anymore in 2.6.x.

It's sufficient to open the setting up to 2.5.6-1 and from 2.6.x and more to understand that Xvid version included in 2.6.x is different and with a lot of  missing setting than 2.5.x-

I'm not complaining.

I would only have an answer (if you have it).

Up to now it seems that's not any plan to re-introduce the same (or at list with the same parameters setting) Xvid coder used in 2.5.