News:

--

Main Menu

Best Build for Working with x264?

Started by Xplorer4x4, May 19, 2012, 05:53:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xplorer4x4

Do you guys feel there is a certain build that stands out in the 2.6 series that seems to work with x264 video the best? I tried r7959 and it was usable enough all be it buggy in terms of simply sliding the slider around to find the places I wanted to cut. I understand this branch is very experimental but I know that it is also possible to take one giant step forward and two small steps backwards back when dealing with something experimental like this. That is not meant to be negative, just factual. You guys do amazing work and I am glad to see it progressing!

nibbles

For x264 encoded video keep your local copy of x264 recent and use the latest avidemux-2.6.  Bugs are fixed rapidly if they are reported in simple reproducible test cases and a 10 MB sample linked in the report.  It's important you report things that seem odd or don't work they way you expect.  Thanks for your help.

Xplorer4x4

nibbles, thanks for your quick reply. In the 2.5 builds it seems that the x264 version required is hard coded in to the executable. Are the 2.6 builds simply set to scan the install dir for an x264 executable?

nibbles

You're welcome.  From my experience both 2.5 and 2.6 look in /usr/local/lib and /usr/local for libx264 and use the most recent one.  Can you explain what you mean by "In the 2.5 builds it seems that the x264 version required is hard coded in to the executable?"

Xplorer4x4

Quote from: nibbles on May 19, 2012, 08:00:42 PM
You're welcome.  From my experience both 2.5 and 2.6 look in /usr/local/lib and /usr/local for libx264 and use the most recent one.  Can you explain what you mean by "In the 2.5 builds it seems that the x264 version required is hard coded in to the executable?"
First I am working on windows, not linux, at least in this particular discussion. 2.6 for linux(Debian in my case) is something I may look in to more at a later date..as a matter of fact, I will most likely look in to that, just one thing at a time. ;)

Anyways, windows builds look in program files or program files x86(in my case the prior since I use the x64 builds).
As for clearing up my statement, I wish you would have asked this just a few min ago. :p I had the perfect explanation open as described by Lord Mulder but I can not find it now but I am trying to find a newer version libx264 so I can throw it in here if I find it again as a just incase. However, I will try to explain it better. When dealing with avidemux 2.5 in windows, the executable is compiled in a manner it will look in the C:\Program Files\Avidemux folder rather then /usr/* and it will only look for 1 specific version of libx264. For example, on 2.5 it looks for libx264-120.dll so if you delete it and replace it with a newer version such as libx264-124.dll. If you do this it is going to give you an error pop up on launch along the lines of libx264-120.dll is missing. However, in my digging it seems some builds are set up in a manner you describe where it will simply scan a dir and pick up on any libx264-*.dll. If I can find a newer version of libx264, I was going to pop it in and see Avidemux will pick it up. Hope that helps.

Also do you know where to find later binaries of libx264 then libx264-124.dll? My googleing is not turning up much in the way of binaries, and Lord Mulder seems to have stopped providing updated builds.

nibbles

Windows are for washing :-)  I can see how binaries of ADM for windows would only work with a specific x264.  I wouldn't worry about keeping that current then.  LM knows what works.

Xplorer4x4

lol(at the windows comments), I am actually starting to consider the switch more and more each day as I dev more and more and game less and less. ;-)

As for LM, well he seems to have stopped building 2.6 builds(atleast for windows) around January but I found http://avidemux.razorbyte.com.au/ has the latest(avidemux) builds available for windows. It ships with core version 124 of libx264 but it seems 125 is out now.

Jan Gruuthuse

Could not find a download either, but did find this, maybe helpful: How to build x264/libx264.dll in Windows

feelingshred

Sorry for reviving old topic but when the developers of the program don't do something, we have to share the valuable info. I was just having crash after crash using the more recent version of avidemux, then I switched back to v2.5.5 (because it was the most downloaded of the old versions on sourceforge), and now I finally can convert my h264 video again without crashes and without weird artifacts on screen. I don't know what they tried to do with version 2.6.x but it's clearly not working.
To everybody out there, I strongly recommend using avidemux version 2.5.5 .

Jan Gruuthuse

avidemux 2.5.5 is no longer supported  :P

feelingshred

Nobody asked for "what is supported"... People wanna know how to end the pain in their asses and be able to actually use a software without any errors. Just edit and encode a damn video, that's all they asked. Enough with your stalking and passive-aggression, you are providing proof against yourself every time fool. Close thread, solution found. No more ups with answers unrelated to the original question, "veteran user", read the rules when you have time.

mean

Stop spamming
First and last warning.