News:

--

Main Menu

Avidemux PNG Black Screens

Started by AnthonyAnimationPants, May 21, 2012, 02:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnthonyAnimationPants

Hi, I've just recently gotten into animating and this is my first attempt at a non-SWF animation. I've got all of my 97 png's in numeric order (001-002-003 etc) and have tried using both Avidemux and VirtualDub and have come up with the same frustrating result. None of my PNG's are being read as actual pictures, but just black screens with the ocassional flash of white somewhere in-between. As soon as I tell it to open my first PNG, it loads the others like normal, yet in both programs I get nothing but a black screen.
I'm using Avidemux 2.5, VirtualDub 1.9.10 and Windows 7. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
AnthonyAnimationPants  ;D

Jan Gruuthuse

AnthonyAnimationPants

Well, not really, I've understood how I should do it, and for the moment I'm not adding any audio. If you think it'll help I'll try AVIsynth or whatever :) Not so sure though...

Jan Gruuthuse

Try some other programs re-saving: less compression. If your png comes from the same source. Windows: irfanview or similar program.
Background layer issue?

AnthonyAnimationPants

Strange...I tried IrfanView (which I already had installed) and go figure, they came up black there as well. But I tried them in Paint and Picasa and they worked. Also, when opened in Picasa I noticed that the background wasn't white, it was transparent (or a zero colour or whatever they call it, I'm a bit of a noob at this stage). Will adding white background to images work? If so, how would I go about it?

Jan Gruuthuse

Don't know if Irfanview can strip the alpha channel or invisible background? No longer have Windows available here. Gimp can perhaps others can to.

Perhaps this would work (use copy) save in irfanview as JPG (no compression) and save that jpg back to png. Irfanview can batch process, again use copies and not originals, just in case.

AnthonyAnimationPants

I read your post, and did what you said. I opened the first frame in IrfanView (came up black as I said in my previous post), saved it as a JPEG, then opened that up (still black) and saved it as a PNG. Opened that, black yet again. I honestly have no idea what I should do :-\ I'm thinking it has something to do with the background, because it was read as not white, but transparent in Picasa Picture Viewer. Could the background be the thing causing the problem?

Jan Gruuthuse

Looks
Quote from: AnthonyAnimationPants on May 23, 2012, 06:04:42 AM
I'm thinking it has something to do with the background, because it was read as not white, but transparent in Picasa Picture Viewer. Could the background be the thing causing the problem?
Yes, my opinion to. Use Picasa or Paint and export to JPG with no compression. Background should be gone. See if the jpg are accepted in avidemux, otherwise export jpg back to png with Irfanview.

AnthonyAnimationPants

YES! It worked. Originally I said it didn't because in your post you said to use IrfanView to export as JPEG! See-
Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on May 22, 2012, 12:58:56 PM

Perhaps this would work (use copy) save in irfanview as JPG (no compression) and save that jpg back to png. Irfanview can batch process, again use copies and not originals, just in case.

Haha! I used Paint to export and (obviously) it got rid of the transparent background. Haven't tried it in AviDemux, but it worked properly in Picasa and IrfanView! YAY! ;D
Also, I figured out why I ended up with no background. While I was animating, someone must have deleted the Vector layer.