News:

--

Main Menu

mkv - disable subtitles - how?

Started by Hontoni, May 29, 2012, 06:28:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hontoni

I want to reencode a mkv file which has a subtitle track. Avidemux is rendering the subtitles into the video track. I want it to not render the subtitles at all. How do I?

Also, I tried getting rid of the subtitle track using mkvmerge. That works, except that avidemux won't open the resulting mkv file. Well, it opens it, but instead of video I get a green screen (audio plays fine tho). That remuxed mkv file plays OK in smplayer, so this seems to be some sort of bug in avidemux.

Jan Gruuthuse

What Avidemux version are you using? Until now I have not seen this behavior. Normally avidemux is not handling embedded subtitles?
What happens when you first process the mkv video like this:
Load video
With both Video and Audio set to Copy and Output Format to MKV
Save video and check with VLC if subtitle stream is removed?
When re-encoding check if no subtitle filter is selected in video filter option?

I never succeeded in keeping an embedded subtitle with avidemux.

Hontoni

I'm using 2.4.4  (I'll download the latest version tomorrow and try it)

Anyway, I just realized that I misspoke :

I reencoded around 1 minute of video and the subtitles are gone. (Now I'm not sure what is it that I did before...).

"Load video
With both Video and Audio set to Copy and Output Format to MKV
Save video and check with VLC if subtitle stream is removed?"

Done. No, the subtitles are kept as a separate stream.

So looks like the subtitles were never rendered onto the video track, but I wrongly thought they were.

Problem solved I guess - Thanks Jan!

Jan Gruuthuse

Glad that is sorted out. 2.5.6 and 2.6 do drop/strip/forget the subtitle streams when present.