How can I clear the Recent Files list?

Started by Jim-1, June 20, 2012, 02:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim-1

Greetings!  How can I clear the Recent Files list and the Recent Projects list in version 2.5.6?  If users do not already have an option to not add to the recent lists, that would be a good feature to include with the next version.  Thanks!

hinterwaeldler

in version 2.5 and 2.6 it is stored inside of the config file (.avidemux/config resp. .avidemux6/config2 in case of linux system)

2.5 uses xml and 2.6 text style. removing the corresponding parts should work (i know it's not the best way, but at least a way)

Jim-1

Thanks for the reply, but my skills are not up to editing an xml file.  Is there a utility program that can clear the recent lists?  I looked at CCleaner, but I think it only clears windows programs.  Maybe the Avidemux pros could create a batch file that would clear the recent information?

Agent_007

You can just delete those file. Most users don't change AVIdemux settings that much, so they don't usually lose any settings.
I am away between 15th of May - 15th of June. (yes, I am playing D3)

Jim-1

Thanks for the direction.  It took me some time to find the right file  :(, but deleting it or renaming it does remove the information in recent files.  In Win 7, the offending file is located at:
<User_Name>\AppData\Roaming\avidemux\config (with no extension)

I renamed the config file to xconfig (to be sure I could undo any damage I might cause).  When I opened Avidemux again, it created a new config file, and there was no information in the recent areas.  That will work until the star programmers in Avidemux can add an option the user can select to not save any recent information.  :)

hinterwaeldler

here you are.

not a really good solution, but at least it does not store any additional entries.
until now, i've found no solution to avoid the entries in the file menu based on the option set

(Widget(menuRecent_Files)->setVisible(false) seems not working at all. but i don't know really much about qt yet.
hope somone finds a better solution.

Robert2

Hi,
If you open ââ,¬Å"C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\avidemux\config2ââ,¬Â in the Windows WordPad or in a pure text editor like Notepad++ (http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/), youââ,¬â,,¢ll see the following lines near the start of ââ,¬Å"config2ââ,¬Â:

"lastfiles" : {
      "lastdir_read" : "",
      "lastdir_write" : "",
      "file1" : "",
      "file2" : "",
      "file3" : "",
      "file4" : ""
   },

Of course, "file1", "file2", "file3", "file4" will have file names within the quote marks. Simply remove these "file1", "file2", "file3", "file4" lines altogether.

The next time you open Avidemux, the recent file list will be empty.

Unfortunately, as far as I know, there is no other more practical way to clear this recent file listââ,¬Â¦

HTH.
Cheers,
Robert