Just want to shorten a MOV file.

Started by chzuck, June 13, 2013, 03:27:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chzuck

How do I shorten an MOV file, but not change it to any other type of file?

Jan Gruuthuse

If you're lucky:
open mov with avidemux
edit/trim video
while keeping video/audio setting on copy and used output format mp4 or mp4v2 (test with 1 minute sample which one works best)
Take the mp4 saved video and with ffmpeg try this:
ffmpeg -i input_file.mp4 -acodec copy -vcodec copy -f mov output_file.mov
Where input_file.mp4 is the filename of the saved avidemux output.
Not tested by myself. Could work depending on what is exactly in the original .mov video container.

chzuck

Which version of Avidemux are you referring to?  I do not see edit/trim video on 2.5.  Anyway I was able to set the portion I wanted.  When I tried to save it in mp4, it says audio stream is invalid.

styrol

Quote from: chzuck on June 13, 2013, 02:25:13 PM
Which version of Avidemux are you referring to?  I do not see edit/trim video on 2.5.
You set the A und B marker to trim or cut the video (these are not menu commands).

Quote from: chzuckAnyway I was able to set the portion I wanted.  When I tried to save it in mp4, it says audio stream is invalid.
Audio track is probably ADPCM encoded. Just convert it to AAC (128kbps 16 bit stereo), and the audio track is compatible and the file much smaller at no noticeable loss of quality.

chzuck

I am new to this and I have no idea what Jan Gruuthuse was talking about concerning the line listed below.

Jan Gruuthuse

FFmpeg is a program found here: http://www.ffmpeg.org/
the command line instruction that probably will repackage the file.mp4 to file.mov
When you save the mp4 in avidemux, you named it. In above command change file.mp4 to that used name.

chzuck

I am sorry, but it says ffmpeg is not recognized as an internal or external command.  I downloaded ffmeg and unzipped it to the desktop.  When I click on ffmpeg.exe in the bin folder, the command window only appears for a second.  When I try to enter the string as you say, I get the not recognized as an internal or external command.
At this point I am thoroughly frustrated that something so simple as cutting the beginning and end off a clip is so complicated!  I will just convert the file to a type that media maker can handle and go from there.
I just found out that a program called Any Video Converter will convert that mp4 file to MOV painlessly.  Anyway, thanks for all you tried to help me with.

chzuck

I found a program that is easy to use and does just what I want in one step. It is called Any Video Converter.  It trims and saves in MOV in one operation.

http://www.any-video-converter.com/

chzuck

Jan,
I do want to thank you for trying to help me.  I am just not at the level to know how to do all the things you were suggesting.   I needed to have something very simple for my abilities at working with video clips.  Thanks again.