Crash attempting to unpack "packed bitstream"

Started by dabbler, August 08, 2012, 03:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dabbler

Please see attached log file and MediaInfo output.

To reproduce, I just have to:
Run avidemux.
Open a_video.avi.
Click 'yes' when asked whether I want it to unpack the detected packed bitstream.

Notes on the log file:
I removed over 60,000 repeated lines, as noted at lines 223 and 239.
Contrary to line 136, my screen is 1280x1024, and I'm not doing anything unusual (that might obscure that from ADM?).
Contrary to line 391, it never consumed 3036 MB of memory. (Should that say KB?)

Any help would be appreciated!

dabbler

Though it's in the log, I forgot to say I'm using version 2.5.6.

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: dabbler on August 08, 2012, 03:59:14 AM
Contrary to line 391, it never consumed 3036 MB of memory. (Should that say KB?)

Any help would be appreciated!
it says below:
QuoteMemory consumed: 3 (MB)

Goodbye...
Or the decimal point is missing ;)

Most likely switching to avidemux 2.6 experimental, could solve the issue.
Downloads for Windows, Windows and other OS
Ubuntu amd64: 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot, 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin
If issue not solved:
Can you upload a small sample of video (5 seconds/ max 20 MB) causing this behavior? To rapidshare (non pro is non paying) or similar service and provide a link to it.

dabbler

Thanks for your reply.

I've just tried it in 2.6.0 build 8121. I no longer get a "crash" message; the (avidemux.exe) process just silently ends. :P

Since posting I discovered that the file wasn't completely downloaded. Much of its (preallocated) extent was garbage. But it would be nice (and standard) for avidemux to detect garbage (or a condition it couldn't handle, anyway--if compressed video can't reliably be discerned from garbage) and complain instead of crashing, right?  ;)

Regarding submitting a sample:
Using DGSplit, I've tried chunk sizes 5-30 MB (in 5-MB increments) and 100 MB, but none of them lead to the same behavior when opened. Avidemux just says the attempt to open each file failed. For some reason, they all contain 10 seconds of video according to Media Player Classic. Any idea why that would be?

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: dabbler on August 09, 2012, 02:33:25 AM
Thanks for your reply.

I've just tried it in 2.6.0 build 8121. I no longer get a "crash" message; the (avidemux.exe) process just silently ends. :P
What OS, 32 or 64 bit version and from where did you download 2.6.0 build 8121? Could you find a log file? Info here: Bug tracking

QuoteSince posting I discovered that the file wasn't completely downloaded. Much of its (preallocated) extent was garbage. But it would be nice (and standard) for avidemux to detect garbage (or a condition it couldn't handle, anyway--if compressed video can't reliably be discerned from garbage) and complain instead of crashing, right?  ;)
maybe this has something to do with: Torrent poisoning is the act of intentionally sharing corrupt data or data with misleading file names using the BitTorrent protocol

dabbler

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on August 09, 2012, 06:05:38 AM
What OS, 32 or 64 bit version and from where did you download 2.6.0 build 8121? Could you find a log file? Info here: Bug tracking
I'm using 32-bit Windows XP with SP3. I used this installer. The log file is attached. It looks pretty similar except for the way it ends.

maybe this has something to do with: Torrent poisoning is the act of intentionally sharing corrupt data or data with misleading file names using the BitTorrent protocol
In this case I simply hadn't let the download complete. Because of pre-allocation, the file size didn't serve as any reminder that it wasn't complete. After resuming and completing the download, it played fine (and both versions of Avidemux unpack it without incident). I happened to make a copy of the file as it was when I originally posted, so I can still provide that.

Jan Gruuthuse

Guess developer will have a look at it. So 2.6.0 build 8121 works, and does only the odd exit will processing that kind of video? Otherwise it runs fine?

dabbler

I'm afraid I can't say much along the lines of what works. I haven't tried to do anything with 2.6.0 other than load that corrupt file.