Instant crash when previewing uncompr. video with .wav audio (x64 Avidemux)

Started by Selvyr, August 19, 2012, 09:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Selvyr

I'm trying to trim a video clip (uncompressed direct video from PCSX2, a PS2 emulator) and sync it with the .wav sound file that comes along with it, separate from the video clip.

Whenever I press Play on Avidemux to preview the video and audio to see if they're in sync, the whole program simply disappears on the spot, without any message (apparently a crash).

- This happens regardless of what codecs (if any) I've chosen for either the video or the audio.
- If I play only the video with no audio, it doesn't crash.
- If I play a .m2v video file with the same .wav audio, it doesn't crash.
- The only way I can get around it is processing the video, watching it, determining if its in sync or not, adjusting the time shift, processing it again, watching it, etc...which is very slow and inefficient.

I'm going to try and look for more efficient ways past this that don't involve encoding the video twice (for obvious quality reasons) or losing bits of audio from the beginning and/or end, but I thought I should let you know about this rather crippling crash.

mean

Selvyr

Jan Gruuthuse

Can you try  if on windows this version: avidemux 2.5.6-1 (7716) @ http://avidemux.razorbyte.com.au/?
Can you upload an approx. 20 MB video in size causing this behavior to rapidshare, non pro should be non paying or similar service and provide the link for it?
Could help in pinpointing the problem?

Selvyr

Tested it on 2.5.6-1, same crash but instead of just disappearing without a word it audibly plays a fraction of a second of the video, then crashes with a crash message: "Crash - Press OK to build crash info"

The uncompressed video has a VERRRRY high bitrate, so I had to cut it into a 0.066 second bit to meet 20 MB. (The cut piece still makes Avidemux crash, tested it.) It can be found here: http://www.mediafire.com/?18wo95fo5dur1dr

mean

It's because it's yuv422
Avidemux assumes yuv420 which is the more common flavor (DVD/bluRay/DVB/....)

Selvyr

All I have options for in PCSX2's inbuilt capture system is 'YUY2' and 'RGB32', as far as uncompressed goes. It also has options for encoding with whatever codecs you have, but I'd have to trim the video afterwards so that's a no-no.

Is there any way of processing 'yuv422' to 'yuv420' without suffering in the quality / information department? I've no idea what those two stand for so I have no idea how to proceed. :P

Jan Gruuthuse

Suggestions are around on the web to use fraps instead for recording? Don't know if free version is only usable for limited period?

mean

Jan Gruuthuse

works now with avidemux 2.6 r8140, pfew 20 MB for one frame ;).

Selvyr

Fraps works too, but it's prone to making PCSX2 have random FPS dips, which in turn ruin the recorded cutscenes. PCSX2's inbuilt recording system produces flawless, 100 % solid footage at the cost of being slow to use...and now this.

I have a purchased version of Fraps too, but with my high settings on PCSX2 even running a 4.5 GHz cpu doesn't stop FPS dips from happening. Thus I have to use the built-in system and combine that footage with separate .wav clips...

Awesome, I'll try that once I have time; busy with other stuff atm.

Edit: I read 2.6 is 'highly experimental' and 'shouldn't be used for serious stuff'. What I'm doing is pretty serious so I'd at least like to know if the basic functions (encoding, audio time shifting etc.) work well... =\

Selvyr

Sorry for the double-post, but I thought that way I'd alert you guys of new content in this thread. :p

When I open a 'yuv422' file in Avidemux 2.6.0 (r8140), the preview is discolored and, upon pressing play, only previews for a few frames before stopping by itself. You can't slide the timeline slider around either; it's stuck at the beginning. All this without even adding audio.

mean

Make sure your display is not set to openGl (it is known to be borked in some case)

Jan Gruuthuse

Jan Gruuthuse

This is how OpenGL display sometimes shows content. As mean says don't use OpenGL in preference video display. You can leave Enable OpenGL support marked.