This MOV file and similar ones frequently crash Avidemux... any thoughts?

Started by Frankenscript, August 26, 2012, 12:02:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankenscript

Hi folks,

Now that I have Avidemux working again, I'd like to take a stab at a file type that has been pesky for me from the beginning.

These are 640x480 MOV files shot by by my Nikon S8200 Coolpix camera at 120 FPS with no sound.  Here's a link to an example:

https://rapidshare.com/files/2457397907/Hornet.MOV

The files play fine in windows 7 and play nicely in Avidemux. But when trying to save a clip from the middle, it usually crashes no matter what settings I choose.  The video track is AVC (as reported by MediaInfoGui) though it always reports as 29.x fps and plays slowly. That's fine, but it crashes when I try to save a clip, using Mpeg4-AVC video encoding (and MP3 (lame) audio), saving as MP4(psp). I think it crashes before building crash files.

Thoughts on better ways to do it?

Marc

Jan Gruuthuse

2.6 does this fine mp4v2. In 2.5.6 have the same crash on linux. If this is an option use mkv instead of MP4(psp) format with same settings it does not crash. Try on regular basis the nightly 2.6 and perhaps one will run.
If it is a must to produce these files. If you have a spare/old hard disc, have this as in your computer. Temporary disconnect the original hard disc.
It is important to disconnect the HDD with windows 7 and your HDD with your data on, so you don't loose these! When installing
Connect this as your next HDD and Install an ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64-bit with avidemux 2.6 64-bit. Test if that works. When all works fine Enable booting from bios menu, connect the HDD's back, test if you can boot windows. test if you can select boot from Linux HDD.
You should now be able to boot windows 7 as usual or select another HDD to boot of in bios (slect other device to boot F10 or F12).
This should also work from external HDD but slower.
If you're not familiar with installing OS's, find someone that does (Computer Geek).

styrol

QuoteThese are 640x480 MOV files shot by by my Nikon S8200 Coolpix camera at 120 FPS with no sound

Nice hornet! I consider Avidemux is choking on the missing audio track. This settings should work in 2.5.x (at least it works in 2.5.2):
Video: MPEG-4 AVC
Audio: Copy
Container: MP4 (not MP4 PSP which expects audio track)

Frankenscript

Thanks guys. I'll give the settings a shot.

In my younger days I'd give the Ubuntu a whirl, but these days I'm just not motivated to mess with that piece of it. I used to be a pretty serious geek but as technology moves on I'm really more of a "poser-level" geek fossil.  It's less about ability, and more about motivation or lack thereof.

I'll post back if I have trouble getting the recommended settings to work.

Marc