saved video has no thumbnail in video copy mode?!

Started by thebai, January 07, 2012, 03:25:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebai

using the latest version, I found that in video copy mode the resulting file plays fine but has no video thumbnail under windows explorer. By using re-encoding instead of copying, the resulting file has a properly working thumbnail. Of course, the original files have working thumbnails as well (these are mostly divx, xvid, h264 or mkv files)

Can anyone shed any light on why this is happening? I only want to cut a few avi files, so would prefer to use copy instead of re-encode

Agent_007

With AVI files this is known issue. For some strange reasons those same files don't work correctly with Xbox 360 IIRC.
I am away between 15th of May - 15th of June. (yes, I am playing D3)

thebai

is there a known workaround for this? re-encoding is unnecessarily slow and I've tried a number of avi fix utils to regenerate the thumbnail to no avail.

or is there a beta/alpha that resolves this?

Agent_007

It isn't a AVI container issue IIRC, but related to video data. And no sane workaround was found last time, but if you figure something out, please share.
I am away between 15th of May - 15th of June. (yes, I am playing D3)

Jan Gruuthuse

You could try this. If your video starts with a black frame? Move to frame with a picture. Mark that frame with A. Use keyboard right arrow once and mark B. Now copy and move to start of the clip and paste the copied frame. Save the file with another name. In linux the black icon is changed to icon view of the copied frame. Don't know if this will work on your 360 box?
This only works with 2.5.6, in 2.6 this is currently disabled.

nibbles

Probably should say "Move to an I-Frame with a picture."

douche

Is there any progress on this? I am also experiencing this issue.

I am trying to create an AVI that can be played on an XviD DVD player, but the files that (AVIDemux 2.6.0 r7845) creates do not work. In Windows Explorer, not only do they not produce thumbnails, but their metadata is not even displayed (dimensions, length, etc.) so it probably is the container thatââ,¬â,,¢s the problem.

I have tried all three of the AVI Muxer Output Format settings without success.

One clue seems to be that even though I selected XvID, it is creating a file tagged as DIVX.

mean

Could you try with a more recent one ?
There has been some fix regarding avi format
http://www.avidemux.org/nightly/win32 for example, or take one from gruntster

douche

I just tried the nightly and it sort worked. I made a small clip and Explorer shows the thumbnail and metadata. But when I converted the whole video, Explorer does not show them. Worse, when I put it on a flash drive and plugged it into an XviD DVD player, it says the audio format is not supported even though I set it to MP3 (lame) just like I did with the previous version (which actually did work in the DVD player).  ???

Iââ,¬â,,¢ll try a few tests to see if I can narrow down a specific set of circumstances.

I wonder if it has to do with the format tag. I set it to xvid4, but it is being encoded as DVIX:

mean

if you set the avi option to openDML does it work bette r?

mean

Small file < 2 or 4 Gbytes => avi type1
larger file => auto switch to type2. Please try with container => avi => configure => openDML

douche

Hmm, this is a little strange. I did a second conversion.

With the first one, I did not make a selection after opening the source video, and the resulting video was 153MB. The second time, I selected the whole source (set markers) and the resulting video was 164MB.

The first one could not be read by Explorer and the DVD player could not play its audio. The second one showed fine in Explorer and played fine in the DVD player.

Odd, and a little inconvenient, but at least it works correctly. :)

Yup; I just tried it again with a different video. If I donââ,¬â,,¢t set a selection, the resulting video isnââ,¬â,,¢t quite right; if I select the whole thing, then it works correctly.

mean

Could you upload both video somewhere ?
(the one with no selection and the one with manual selection)

Windows is pickier than linux regarding video, so it always works here

douche

I just did a test with another video (this one is a 2 min. MP4 while the previous two tests were done with 20 min. MKVs). I tested it in both r7845 (the one I had before) and r8175 (the current nightly). I converted it in both versions both with and without making a selection.

I got four different files. The two made with the nightly work fine in Explorer and the two made with the older version do not. This is strange.

Now I can accept that the ones with the old version donââ,¬â,,¢t work, but the two MKVs I converted required making a selection for them to work, but this MP4 did not. I doubt that it has to do with the format of the source video, but Iââ,¬â,,¢ll test several more videos to see if I can narrow it down further.

Either way, it is curious that the results (regardless of the version of Avidemux) are always different with and without a selectionââ,¬â€the resulting videos are the same size and have a bunch of bytes in common, but most are different (also, the video-format tag is (presumably) incorrect in the nightly as well):