News:

--

Main Menu

Converting to MPEG-2 - Need Help!

Started by Makaveli84, September 16, 2012, 06:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makaveli84

Hello,
The Wiki states that there are 2 encoders for creating DVD compatible MPEG-2 streams: "DVD (lavc)" (which uses libavcodec) and "DVD" (which uses libmpeg2enc). I'm using Avidemux 2.5.4 r7200 and I have 2 different options for MPEG-2 encoding: MPEG-2 (mpeg2video) and MPEG-2 (mpeg2enc).

- Question 1: Are these respectively the same as "DVD lavc" and "DVD libmpeg2enc"?

The Wiki goes on to state that one should only use "DVD lavc" in 2-pass mode, and that it's only safe to use CQ mode with "DVD libmpeg2enc".

- Question 2: Why is that? Is it a quality issue or a compatibility one? I ask because I have encoded a large number of videos using CQ=2 using mpeg2video (which is presumably "DVD lavc"), but I haven't authored them yet, so I am wondering if I should reencode them using mpeg2enc with CQ 2 or not.

- Question 3: If I use CQ = 2, would it then be safe and OK to encode with lavc, or would it still be advisable to encode with mpeg2enc? (Again, I'm talking about CQ mode).

- Question 4: I see that there is a matrix for Anime. Is it advisable to use it in Animes that are similar in constitution to "Family Guy" or "The Simpsons" for example, or should I stick with the default matrix? And what difference is there? Is it better quality or faster encoding or smaller file size??

- Question 5: I have the options of TMPGenc, Anime, KVCD and default in the Matrices setting. What would be the best matrix (quality wise) for regular live action TV shows and movies??

I really need some help in making those decisions, so please, If you have some expertise on these matters, help me out ;D!!

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: Makaveli84 on September 16, 2012, 06:54:23 PM
>8 >8 I'm using Avidemux 2.5.4 r7200 >8 >8
Yous should, if you can upgrade to 2.5.6 or 2.6: http://avidemux.razorbyte.com.au/ or 32-bit/64-bit
Quote- Question 5: I have the options of TMPGenc, Anime, KVCD and default in the Matrices setting. What would be the best matrix (quality wise) for regular live action TV shows and movies??
Anime = would be optimized for animated movies.

QuoteWhat is KVCD?"K Video Compression Dynamics"

KVCD is a modification to the standard MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 GOP structure and Quantization Matrix. It enables you to create over 120 minutes of near DVD quality video, depending on your material, on a single 80 minute CD-R/CD-RW. We have published these specifications as KVCDx3, our official resolution, which produce 528x480 (NTSC) and 528x576 (PAL) MPEG-1 variable bit rate video, from 64Kbps to 3,000Kbps. Using a resolution of 352x240 (NTSC) or 352x288 (PAL), it\'s possible to encode video up to ~360 minutes of near VCD quality on a single 80 minute CD-R. The mpeg files created will play back in most modern standalone DVD players. You must burn the KVCD MPEG files as non-standard VCD or non-standard SVCD (depends on your player) with Nero or VCDEasy.
source: http://www.kvcd.net

Make a small sample source video, duration 1 minute, for the content you watch the most and test/see what works best for you.

Makaveli84

Jan Gruuthuse, thx for your reply. However, most of my questions remain unanswered.

Regarding upgrading Avidemux, I'd rather not right now. Maybe in the near future.

Regarding testing and finding out what suits me better, well that's pretty obvious, and I'm already doing that. But I'd like to understand how things are working and what different settings are aimed at and what to expect with this or that option. Combining both that knowledge and my subjective testing would result in the best possible outcome.

As for KVCD, it seems that I'll be ruling this matrix out, since I am creating full resolution MPEG-2 streams (720x480 for NTSC or 720x576 for PAL), and since it seems that KVCD is aimed at creating SVCD MPEG-1 streams.

But as I said, almost most of my initial inquiries still stand, so I'm still awaiting some help guys.

Jan Gruuthuse

my guess for 2: DVD format is very strict, not much deviation allowed in this standard.
libavcodec <> Mpeg2enc

upgrade to 2.5.6, frame based (SD TV) and 2.6, time based (HD TV).