Why --force-unpack doesn't work?

Started by I12learn, September 18, 2012, 12:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I12learn

Hello,
the option --force-unpack or the script statement avidemux().forceUnpack() don't work.
The only way it's to select the option from the drop-down preferences menu.
I'm asking why, these options are written but, they aren't working.

mean

I12learn

I've both installed, but for some reason I rather prefer 2.5 which is not crashing so often.
For 2.6 I like the Queue menu, but I didn't realize the exact function of it. Beside that it crash like anything.
Should we abandon the 2.5 because doesn't do the mentioned functions?

OS Archlinux x86_64, Avidemux (2.5.6 or 2.6)

Jan Gruuthuse

No choice I'm afraid: I have both 2.5.6 and 2.6. If some stuff is not handled with 2.6, I'll try with 2.5.6.
The crashing is not normal. Here this occurs with 1st time starting. Some QT issue. When restarting avidemux 2.6 should be fine afterwards.
Do you see a pattern in the crashes? Happens on same kind of video, applying resize, using codec, ...
It all depends on your needs. If you're doing a lot of avidemux stuff: consider multiple boot and have an ubuntu 12.04.1 for doing this. A hard disk can have up to 4 primary partitions under linux. So this would mean for every hard disk in your system you could have 4 flavors of linux.

Archlinux is a bleeding edge, rolling release GNU/Linux distribution. And is a less stable platform as would be a LTS. (stable may not be correct description)

I12learn

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on September 19, 2012, 07:43:43 AM
No choice I'm afraid: I have both 2.5.6 and 2.6. If some stuff is not handled with 2.6, I'll try with 2.5.6.
I'm doing the very same. Actually I feel more confident with elder version even I saw plenty of goodies on the newer. I've tried to build the queue and save a couple. When tried avidemux3_jobs, it failed both the jobs. I didn't check whether there's a log.
QuoteThe crashing is not normal. Here this occurs with 1st time starting. Some QT issue. When restarting avidemux 2.6 should be fine afterwards.
Restarting is fine if not trying to load from the previous crash backup, that will fail. Now I got 8194 up, and some problem is less appearing, but some preview still greenish and a magenta layer looking displaced 3/4 of the frame.
QuoteDo you see a pattern in the crashes? Happens on same kind of video, applying resize, using codec, ...
I'm doing conversion to MP4, mostly input are avi format like xvid or divx. I've seen that (as per 8194) is not recognizing the end of the video. Moving to end (by keyboard or widget) will complain with a warning window.
I'm keen to give more details, unfortunately not this time.
QuoteIt all depends on your needs. If you're doing a lot of avidemux stuff: consider multiple boot and have an ubuntu 12.04.1 for doing this.
I have a prepaired partition, still not decide what to do with it :)  .  I also have ready the ubuntu live on SD memory card (12.04 LTS), but I don't expect to need so much on installing an Ubuntu/ Debian. Furthermore I'm doing other stuffs while the video-process is going, so I need to access other resources on the actual setup. But I would say that isn't the crashing cause.
QuoteArchlinux is a bleeding edge, rolling release GNU/Linux distribution. And is a less stable platform as would be a LTS. (stable may not be correct description)
I rather let you try it out. However, developers should  test with the latest libraries, except those on testing.

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: I12learn on September 20, 2012, 03:20:16 AM
However, developers should  test with the latest libraries, except those on testing.
This is a limited operation, choices are made. Testing and feedback is a user responsibility, especially when not using mainstream OS.
QuoteUbuntu is suitable for people who don't want to troubleshoot their software on a regular basis. Arch GNU/Linux's software updates sometimes require configuration adjustments to keep things working (which will require following instructions posted to archlinux.org), so Arch GNU/Linux is usually recommended for people who don't mind fixing problems as they crop up. Ubuntu has a larger user base and is easier to troubleshoot from the larger resources it creates.

Finally, although Arch GNU/Linux has fewer software packages available as prepackaged binaries than apt-get in Ubuntu. Most packages not available as binaries are available from the Arch Unsupported Repository (AUR) with automatic build tools available, but these packages can be less reliable than the supported packages.
source: Arch Linux vs Ubuntu
QuoteRestarting is fine if not trying to load from the previous crash backup, that will fail. Now I got 8194 up, and some problem is less appearing, but some preview still greenish and a magenta layer looking displaced 3/4 of the frame.
Explained you before: Don't use in Video display: OpenGl (best) use other option like: XVideo (best)

I12learn

As archer, we aren't always  troubleshooting. But now we are not here to discuss everyone choise. Each of us lives with his/hers choices.
Would be the 64bit architecture some of hassle?
But I didn't see any problem during source compiling.
Regarding the crashes I'm not on that computer now, I'm sure to avoid vdpau, which should be for nvidia video card. I don't have nvidia on board the I looked for opengl option.

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: I12learn on September 20, 2012, 12:40:51 PM
As archer, we aren't always  troubleshooting. But now we are not here to discuss everyone choise. Each of us lives with his/hers choices.
I'm not discussing your choice, just explaining possible lesser support.
QuoteWould be the 64bit architecture some of hassle?
Not that I'm aware of. I just run avidemux 2.6 over a year now on ubuntu AMD64 (core i3 and core i5)
QuoteBut I didn't see any problem during source compiling.
More a desktop/video driver driver issue and the interaction between avidemux, just my 2 cents.
QuoteRegarding the crashes I'm not on that computer now, I'm sure to avoid vdpau, which should be for nvidia video card. I don't have nvidia on board the I looked for opengl option.
If avidemux player shows up like this:

Do not select for video display:  OpenGl (best)

I12learn

This is my setting for the video.
Here below my video card $ lspci
04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Manhattan [Mobility Radeon HD 5430 Series]
04:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Cedar HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5400/6300 Series]

Some avi comes like you showing here. Is that I have to change some setting?

Jan Gruuthuse

Change Video display to: XVideo (best)

I12learn

We may close here this thread. The PC died on me  :'(

I was so happy to solve most of my problem and I set a job to run overnight. The morning I got the PC killed.
Nothing against avidemux, for sure. I think overheating is the cause, but mostly because the assembly was underestimated and the heatsink or ventilation insufficient.
Over that, why hardware didn't act thermal protection?
I made a script in bash:#!/bin/bash

# Script to repeatly convert avi into a different format (according the setting
# saved) I used MP4 for my own use.
# Next would be improved to add argument parsing on the CLI line.
# Usage AD_repeater avi_source_dir [log]
# The log would be a file to redirect you verbose output

LOG=/dev/null #Defaulted to nowhere :-)
[ -n $2 ] && LOG=$2

avail_space(){
   # calculate the available space for a given directory and check if there's
   # double the size of the give file. If enough space will return 1
   dirspace=$(df -B1 $1| awk 'END{print $4}')
   filesize=$(($(ls -l $2 | awk '{print $5}')*2))
   [ $dirspace -gt $filesize ] && return 1
   return 0
}

# Save the separator and use only newline termination
ifs=$IFS
# Verify a valid directory
DIR=$1
if ! [ -d $DIR ]; then
   echo $DIR' is not a valid directory'
   exit 1
fi
#strip last / if it's there
if [ ${DIR:((${#DIR}-1))} == '/' ]; then
   DIR=${DIR::-1}
fi
# it scans for all avi file inside the directory

LIST=$(ls $DIR/*.avi)
if [ ${#LIST} -gt 0 ]; then
   # chance separator to new line
   IFS='
'
   for FIL in $LIST; do
      # It will quit in case no space to finish
      # we could remove the avi file once is done, but just leave it for inspecting
      # the result.
      if ( avail_space $DIR $FIL ); then
         echo "No more space available on the destination directory "$DIR
         break
      fi
      # Saving the file into the origin directory
      DEST=${FIL%.*}.mp4
      # The script would be for mp4 conversion. Remember to tick auto unpacking VBR
      [ -f $DEST ] && echo  $DEST' exists, skipping' && continue
      avidemux2_cli --force-unpack --force-alt-h264 --load "$FIL"\
      --run ~/.avidemux/jobs/avi2mp4-2.js --save $DEST --quit >> $LOG
   done
   # avidemux2_cli --quit # To test if it can keep alive for all loops. If yes we can remove --quit
   # every loop. I couldn't try out
else
   echo 'no files to process'
fi
IFS=$ifs

No signature