[SOLVED] Edit and save .wmv file result in excessive playng speed

Started by LeonX, September 24, 2012, 09:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeonX

As the subject say.

I cut some part from the video, then CTRL+S it.

Setting Audio and Video to copy and format to .avi

Result are all the same: the video on mediaplayer classic is too fast, audio also play too fast.
VLC give me no problem on video speed, but the audio is always missing.

Someone can point me out?

Jan Gruuthuse

This method does not always work: copying video and audio to another container format. Mostly depends on used video/audio codec in in source video if you need to re-encode or can copy.

styrol

WMV video (and WMA audio) is a proprietary format.

You can try Asfbin instead (using time stamps for cutting from Avidemux).

LeonX

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on September 25, 2012, 06:09:04 AM
Mostly depends on used video/audio codec in in source video

There is a way to find what codec is used? Pressing ALT+Enter i can see some codec displayed, but is not specific.   I'm green in this matter.

Also, when the codec is found, there is a "chart" that explain what format i'm supposed to use to convert it?

mean

Can you share a sample wmv file ?
does it work if you use mkv as container ?

LeonX

Quote from: mean on September 27, 2012, 04:52:44 PM
does it work if you use mkv as container ?
No, it's not working, give me an error message like i cannot insert this codec video in .mkv.
Ofcourse i changed only format setting, video and audio settings are "copy" mode.

I cannot give a sample, because these file go from 300 MB to 2 Giga, but my objective is to cut less usefull part to get a small size and playtime.
Until now i've converted the .wmv file to .avi using Format Factory and then edited the .avi, but is a time consuming process. Also size is not reduced much, because reencoded .avi take a large ammount of space (40% more than .wmv).

Jan Gruuthuse

Use MediaInfo <- click and post the info of the kind of wmv you use. Perhaps it is possible to find similar videoclip in smaller size (20 MB). Without a sample wmv there is nothing much the developers can do to fix this.

LeonX

Here we go:

file link

it's a standard .wmv, 29,5 Mb.

The base version work whithout problem, but if i cut some part and then save as .avi the video result in fast play time and no audio.
Video and audio set to "copy".
Other setting get an error message, or the file will increase in size, mean is useless because i want to reduce it by cutting some part.

Quote from: styrol on September 25, 2012, 05:11:20 PM
WMV video (and WMA audio) is a proprietary format.

You can try Asfbin instead (using time stamps for cutting from Avidemux).
I can use other software, yes.. but i want to use Avidemux as single solution, is more pratical for only cut/copy/convert.

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: styrol on September 25, 2012, 05:11:20 PMWMV video (and WMA audio) is a proprietary format.
The codecs WMV3 (video) and WMA (both by microsoft) don't work well in avi, as you already found out.
So you need to re-encode the edited video, try these settings in avidemux 2.6 and see if that works for you.
Video Output: Mpeg4 ASP (xvid4)
Audio Output: MP3 (lame)
Output format: avi
Do your editing and save the video. Result: cut to 24 seconds: test.avi 12 MB download

mean

If i got it right :
you load the file
Dont do any editing
save copy/copy => it works

you load the file
Edit out some parts
save copy/copy => it does not  work

LeonX

@mean -

Nope, whenever i save the file using "copy" feature from .wmv to .avi the problem persist.
Using the change suggested by Jan Gruuthuse help, but:

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on September 29, 2012, 04:43:40 AM
Video Output: Mpeg4 ASP (xvid4)
Audio Output: MP3 (lame)
Output format: avi

now it work fine.
Size is quite small; only thing, video quality much more worse.
Can we retain the same video quality? Audio loss is not a problem.

As a side note, i've done some test:

Using Mpeg4 ASP (xvid4):
original file        38 min - 605 Mb
Mb per minute:   15,9

Edited file size  2 min  - 14 Mb
Mb per minute:        7,0

Low video quality result.

Using Using Mpeg4 ASP (mpeg4):
Same results.

mean

Encode in constant quantizer=4,  file will be bigger but quality will be fine

LeonX

I don't know what it mean.
Can you point me to the right setting?

tnx

EDIT:
sorry found out, is a setting. It's already on 4 on a scale from 1 to 32 (best-worse)

EDIT 2:
using 1 for quality will get a rough 55 Mb per minute, so is not good.
using 2 for quality  16  Mb / minute.  Original video is 15,9 Mb / minute, so is the right setting.
using 3 for quality: 9,8 Mb / minute. Too video loss.

I can say the problem is solved. Thank you   :)

styrol

QuoteSetting Audio and Video to copy and format to .avi
Result are all the same: the video on mediaplayer classic is too fast, audio also play too fast.
VLC give me no problem on video speed, but the audio is always missing.
QuoteI can say the problem is solved.
Is it? Actually converting is just a workaround. But okay, if you're happy...

LeonX

What do you mean?

There are software that edit and save .wmv files, but Avidemux is not one of them, i already know this.
All i need is to use one software for all my vids, the output format chosen is merely a standar that let me regain space after the video cut, i don't really care if is .avi, .mkv, .wmv or other as long as mediaplayer classic and CCCP can play them ;)