Can't open CBS HD recordings

Started by slats7, September 24, 2012, 04:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slats7

I use a Pinncale USB HD tuner to record free, over-the-air NFL and NCAA games to my computer in TS format. I then use Avidemux to snip out certain plays that I want to share with others. Avidemux 2.5 and 2.6 have no trouble opening video files recorded from NBC, Fox and ABC. It absolutely refuses to open games recorded on CBS. This is a recent development. The CBS games I recorded last year still open up just fine. The games I recorded in the first three weeks of the 2012 season do not. Nor is it a file size issue. I did a test where I only recorded two minutes of CBS HD footage, but Avidemux still won't open it.  Any ideas as to what could be wrong? Maybe my local CBS station is doing something different with their HD signal this year that is screwing up Avi.   

Jan Gruuthuse

Upload sample (5 seconds/20 Mb) to rapidshare or similar webservice and provide the link to it in posting. TS HD should be handled fine by avidemux 2.6.
How to Cut TS sample] <- click.

slats7

I recorded 10 seconds of "The Talk" on CBS and it opened up in Avi. However, I recorded an additional 21 minutes (for a total of 1.81 GB) and it failed to open.

Jan Gruuthuse

I don't understand this? You should not have .avi recording when recording MPEG-TS stream? Should be .ts, .trp, ... If you record to avi: some transcoding/remuxing already takes place. You need to work with original recording.

slats7

I'm not recording to Avidemux. I'm merely using it as an mpeg splitter after the fact. Speaking of which, my CBS HD files do open up in the free trial versions of VideoReDo and ProgDVB. No such luck with Avi.

mean