Avidemux 2.6: being only time-based is really good ???

Started by mm.ff, September 29, 2012, 05:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mm.ff

Hi all,
in my opinion, the choice to make Avidemux 2.6 only a time-based video tool is too limiting because, in many situations, a frame can be identified/positioned in a simpler way by its number rather than by its timecode.

I think it would be a wiser decision to provide the option to use timecodes or frame numbers and let the user choose the ones or the others according to its needs and preferences.

So, I hope that the developers could re-introduce the frame-based usage in addition to the new time-based usage, according for example to a switch put in the "Preferences".

Thanks

Jan Gruuthuse

I think frame based in newer video codec(s) is hard to achieve. Plenty of virtual frames. Probably you need to reverse the process, goto to an intermediate video format where all frames are reconstituted. Maybe this could work when you use DV? Re-encode to DV. Do your editing and re-encode back to the end format you want. I don't think many of us have the time or enough hard disk space to work this way. Also take in account the degradation by decoding and re-encoding.
The idea may look simple. The developers probably would have made 2.6 frame based instead of time based if it was that easy.
The most of us lack the computer power to work with frame based HDTV in real time. In future this will not improve with upcoming 4K resolutions. (12.6 megapixels/frame)
I could be wrong.

mm.ff

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on September 29, 2012, 06:09:01 PM
I think frame based in newer video codec(s) is hard to achieve. Plenty of virtual frames.

Maybe for the future, but today there is a lot of "older codecs" videos for which the frame-based editing is simpler than time-based editing.

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on September 29, 2012, 06:09:01 PM
The idea may look simple. The developers probably would have made 2.6 frame based instead of time based if it was that easy.

The developer already have the source code of Avidemux 2.5.6 which works in frame-based mode, so they don't have to invent anything.
My idea is to keep the "older" way of doing (even with all eventual limitations) and add  the new time-based mode to it (instead of substitute it).

mean

styrol

Quote from: mm.ff on September 30, 2012, 10:22:21 AM
Maybe for the future, but today there is a lot of "older codecs" videos for which the frame-based editing is simpler than time-based editing.
Today's videos are almost all h.264 encoded. For older videos you can use Avidemux 2.5.x.

Gew

I can only agree here, needless to say I found this discussion thread from Google.
Just stumbled into a situation where I could really use a "Jump to frame #" function.

Jeni88

Quote from: styrol on September 30, 2012, 10:46:04 AM
Quote from: mm.ff on September 30, 2012, 10:22:21 AM
Today's videos are almost all h.264 encoded. For older videos you can use Avidemux 2.5.x. There was a website that talked about this.

Hello
I don't know where to download Avidemux 2.5.x
do you have a link? sorry my English is not that good.