News:

--

Main Menu

No Xvid codec?

Started by avihalp, November 06, 2012, 04:14:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

avihalp

I heard Xvid has better compression than DivX. I want to try it out, but there is no Xvid option in "video output."

Some screenshots I looked up has the Xvid option.

What is up with that? Using Avidemux 2.6.

styrol

Video Output / MPEG-4 ASP (XviD4)

avihalp

When "MPEG-4 ASP (XviD4)" is used, the converting window says "DIVX".

After converting, I loaded the new file in Avidemux. Clicked on the blue icon with the "i", it says "DivX."

Why is this happening?

styrol

QuoteWhen "MPEG-4 ASP (XviD4)" is used, the converting window says "DIVX".
This is just the FourCC-Code set for dumb hardware, which claims to be DivX compatible but does not know about XVID. Whether you use DivX or XviD as encoder, both produce MPEG-4 Part 2 video (also called MPEG-4 ASP). More sophisticated hardware does know both DIVX and XVID.

avihalp

Thanks for explaining.  Since they are both MPEG-4 Part 2, ...does this mean the compression difference is a myth?

styrol

MPEG-4 Part 2 is a video encoding standard (video format standard). Encoders like DivX or XviD are software to output this format. One encoder might be more effective (needs less time or has a better quality / file size ratio)...

macduke

Hi.

Divx an xviD are based on the very same MPEG4 compression standard.

Divx is a trademark, so in order to use Divx compressors you should pay royalties.

xviD (that's really how the name should be written: exactly in the opposite way ad Divx) is the free implementation.

In principle no difference should be noticed between the two output files, but "how-to-implement-the-standard" could have slight impact.

styrol

QuotexviD (that's really how the name should be written: exactly in the opposite way ad Divx)
Then as anagram it should be written as XviD, because the company itself uses "DivX" on their website. Xvid on their website uses Xvid, not xviD.