News:

--

Main Menu

AVI automatic splits

Started by JW28, October 26, 2012, 12:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JW28

Hello,

I am in the process of mounting a number of old HI8 video tapes done some years ago. After the digitalization process I have on my PC an avi file which I want to clean-up cutting all the noisy sequences, and for doing this I have discovered Avidemux which I find outstanding for doing the job and splitting into several smaller, clean avi files which I will later be able to mount with another software (I am using Studio 16 from Corel).

I have a question though related to the automatic split of the video produced every 4188 Mb. Why is this done ? Can I configure that avi is never split ? I see the config button which shows this

Nota that I run Win7/64b and I would have thought that the file size limitation of 4 Gb would not apply.

Thank you for your help.

styrol

QuoteI have a question though related to the automatic split of the video produced every 4188 Mb. Why is this done ? Can I configure that avi is never split?
It's due to limitations of the FAT-32 file system which only handles files of max. 4GB size. Try setting a higher value, e.g. 10000MB.

thany

I don't mean to be rude, but FAT32 has been dead for a long time. But even so, if my computer contains not a single FAT32 volume, why is this limit still the default? It just makes no sense. On linux, the limit is even stranger, since FAT32 has never been a primary FS there...

And why is this limitation not on other containers? At least make it consistent...

Do I hear SD-cards that go into tablets? Sure, here's the solution that also has been around for a couple of years: exFAT.

Plenty of reasons to remove this silly (default) limit, I'd say ;)