News:

--

Main Menu

Merge mp4 files

Started by tr-909, January 03, 2013, 03:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tr-909

Hello.

I have 9 .mp4 files which individually play fine in Windows Media Player, Splash Lite and in a Samsung TV (via its All Share Media Player).In Avidemux they are reported as H264/AAC.

Now I want to join all these files into one.What I did was open the first file then Append each part by the correct order, ending in a big 1h30m file.Then click save leaving everything in default (Video Output=Copy, Audio Output=Copy, Output Format= AVI Muxer) and choosing a filename with the .mp4 extension.

Now this file:

- In windows media player wont even start and will result in an error message that I have to free up memory (I have 8GB and lots of free at that moment)

- In Splash Lite there is some time passing and then suddenly the audio starts playing but no video

- In All Media Share Player of the TV plays fine

If I change the Output format to MP4 Muxer (rest in Copy) then the file is recognizable and played correctly on the computer but not in the TV.Also while the filesize remains the same (around 3,8GB) the video quality in the PC is mediocre (less than DVD) when the original video is full HD.

Now is there a way to merge those files and have a file that can be played both in the PC and the TV without sacrificinq quality (video or audio)? I think there should be because individual files do play fine in both appliances (PC, TV).

Please accept my apologies for any technical misunderstandings on my part as I am new to video editing.

Thank you in advance.

styrol

QuoteThen click save leaving everything in default (Video Output=Copy, Audio Output=Copy, Output Format= AVI Muxer) and choosing a filename with the .mp4 extension.
AVI format must have the extension AVI and not MP4.
QuoteIf I change the Output format to MP4 Muxer (rest in Copy) then the file is recognizable and played correctly on the computer but not in the TV.
(1) Try MKV if your TV supports H.264 in MKV.
(2) Or try Avidemux 2.6 on your merged file and try MP4, MP4v2 and MKV as Output format (always using Copy Mode)
(3) Or try to append your file with Avidemux 2.6 and try (2).

Quotethe video quality in the PC is mediocre (less than DVD) when the original video is full HD.
Quality shouldn't degrade by using Copy Mode. Compare two MP4 source files with the MP4 output file (the merged one) using Mediainfo and report.

tr-909

Hello Styrol.

I am using Avidemux 2.6/64bit and the save as .mp4 after the merge was done after following a guide I found on the net.The strange thing for me is that this file plays fine on the TV but not on the PC.I tried changing the extension (from .mp4 to .avi without saving again) but that didn't work.Should I re-append the files and save as .avi?

In TV the file showed fine (HD quality) but in the PC doesn't.Probably this could a player issue (not supporting HD stuff) so I am going to dig into this a bit more.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

styrol

You do not provide the relevant info...

So which container format did you use (MP4, MP4v2 and MKV) as your output file now plays on TV, but not in the player software of your computer anymore (opposite situation as mentioned first by you)? And which player do you use? VLC should handle it.

QuoteI tried changing the extension (from .mp4 to .avi without saving again) but that didn't work
The AVI container format is very different from the MP4 file format, so this never works. Renaming MP4 to MOV works because MP4 is based on the MOV format (but there is no reason to do this).