Mpeg4 ASP (xvid4) - Option to Select Which FourCC is Used

Started by Dannye, January 26, 2013, 12:50:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannye

Am I correct in understanding that the 2.6 branch sets the 'FourCC' code to DIVX when this codec is used?
Is this done to increase compatibility with some players which are very picky and would only play such files when the code is set as such?

Trouble is I have a relatively new player which handles a decent number of codecs/containers except ones I have run through the 2.6 branch trying for 'xvid'. After having trouble getting a 'FourCC Changer' program to work - to try and see whether this was the only thing preventing it from playing the file - I ended up opening the video file up in a hex editor and replacing 'DIVX' with 'XVID' and it did indeed play now (is this essentially what the changer program was trying to do?). I admit I don't really know what I am doing, but since this did work, it does seem that the FourCC saying DIVX is whats stopping my player from playing it?

Long story short, I am wondering if its possible to perhaps add a setting in the Avidemux configuration when using 'Mpeg4 ASP (xvid4)' to select which of these FourCC codes to use? So that (if I am not totally off-base with all this) I can go back to having the latest and greatest Avidemux output the file ready-to-go in one step without needing to manually change this myself.

--

I understand there are perhaps better alternatives out there nowadays, and indeed my new player would handle them, however I have some other devices which only play Mpeg4 ASP files, so using this format and the 'xvid FourCC' would allow me to create files with the greatest compatibility with the players I have access to.

It seems that v2.5.6 handled all this stuff differently, so should I just be using that instead? Though would I not then be missing out on any improvements made since then?

xpmule

Its weird seeing it use that now.. not sure why that was changed.