Fast save for edited MPG video?

Started by yetanotherlogin, January 29, 2013, 06:20:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yetanotherlogin

Hello

I have a newbie question about editing and saving an MPG video (video = mpeg2video, audio = ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), s16).

I opened an MPG file in AviDemux, removed a few minutes at the beginning, left Video=copy Audio=copy and Output="Mpeg-PS Muxer (ff)", and hit File > Save: It took about 30mn to get the edited file.

Since I'm not converting the audio/video into another codec, I was wondering...
1. What does AviDemux do that takes 30mn?
2. Is there a way to speed things up?

Thank you.

Jan Gruuthuse

This is not normal. I'm saving 2 to 4 GB files under 2 minutes. Upgrade to more recent:
- 2.6.1 for (H.264/AVC)
- 2.5.9 for earlier then (H.264/AVC)
Are you loading from network/usb drive: this could explain
Try with source video on your local hard drive and write to your local hard drive.
Windows system: try to clean Temp files, ....
Somewhere you have a bottleneck on your system: software/hardware.

yetanotherlogin

Thanks. I used "beta 2.6rr8357". The files are located on a local drive. The CPU is AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+,  the host has 2GB of RAM, and runs XPSP3.

zakk

yetanotherlogin

Thanks for the tip. I already use mpeg2cut2 to join the 2GB files into a single MPG file before editing, and didn't think of using it to split the post-edited video.

However, it doesn't seem to support MPG4: "WRONG FILE EXTENSION: .mp4. THIS PROBABLY WON'T WORK. DO YOU REALLY WANT TO TRY THIS ?", followed by "Trojan 3G media file. FORMAT NOT SUPPORTED".

zakk

Oops! Never saw MPEG-2 in an mp4 container before   ;D

styrol

Quote from: zakk on January 29, 2013, 05:37:29 PM
Oops! Never saw MPEG-2 in an mp4 container before   ;D
Well, it's allowed but not really supported. Actually I didn't see it either.
But what is now the extension of your file, *.mpg or *.mp4?

zakk

Quote from: styrol on January 29, 2013, 05:49:27 PM
But what is now the extension of your file, *.mpg or *.mp4?
Good point. Check with Mediainfo what your container really is and change the extension accordingly. If it really is .mpg, use ProjectX to cut/demux, it's very good at it.