Avidemux 2.6 won't playback Fraps AVI files any longer

Started by Lilly, February 20, 2013, 09:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilly

Hello

Since the new Avidemux change, it won't work with Fraps (games screen recording software)  files any longer. Older versions still work with it (e.g. v2.5). The 2.6(.1) one shows a green screen, and doesn't play at all - no error msg, nothing.

I used to join, cut and compress my Fraps files with Avidemux and am at a loss now.
Really dislike to start my Premiere Pro for such simples tasks. Esp. since none of the professional software programs has any quality encoding mode for AVC.

If more infos are needed pls say so.

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit; Avidemux 2.6.1 32bit; AvidemuxPortable  2.5.4 32bit (only because I do need something working)

Here a Media Info Logfile of a Frapsvideo that works in 2.5 but not 2.6:

Complete name                            : E:\Programme (x86)\Fraps\Fraps Records\Gw2 2013-02-05 01-11-44-61.avi
Format                                   : AVI
Format/Info                              : Audio Video Interleave
Format profile                           : OpenDML
File size                                : 20,8 GiB
Duration                                 : 19min
Overall bit rate                         : 153 Mbps

Video
ID                                       : 0
Format                                   : Fraps
Codec ID                                 : FPS1
Bit rate                                 : 152 Mbps
Width                                    : 1 280 Pixel
Height                                   : 720 Pixel
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 15,000 FPS
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 10.981
Stream size                              : 20,6 GiB (99%)

Audio
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : PCM
Format settings, Endianness              : Little
Format settings, Sign                    : Signed
Codec ID                                 : 1
Bit rate mode                            : konstant
Bit rate                                 : 1 536 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 2 Kanäle
Sampling rate                            : 48,0 KHz
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Stream size                              : 214 MiB (1%)
Interleave, duration                     : 1000 ms (15,00 Video-Frames)

Regards,
Lilly

Jan Gruuthuse

Lilly

I don't record with 30 FPS or higher, I usually choose 15, 20 or 25 FPS - sometimes much less for time lapse.

Also Avidemux doesn't close/crash when opening an Fraps AVI. It behaves normally just that the screen is green and Play won't make the video play.
http://s7.directupload.net/images/130220/6rr6pqy2.png
The total time is shown though. Can't drag the timeslider either. But I can close it and open something else.
It's as if it hasn't anything to decode video nor audio (audio is PCM so that shouldn't be a prob).

My Fraps is up to date too. And Avidemux has been downloaded and installed some time earlier today.

Fraps can only do AVI and even if not I'd always choose a lossless format and one that stresses my CPU the least... MP4, considering there's AVC in it, does neither. It's a lossy standard (unless you do CRF 0, but I haven't seen any games recoding software offering that mode) and stresses the CPU much more.

Bad choice either way.

Jan Gruuthuse

Just pointed you to previous fraps issue: upgrade to nightly 2.6.1 and check audio settings. If you find audio it is not an issue ... what can I do about that ... you are the fraps user.

mean

Green screen means no codec found
Could you upload a short video somewhere made with your settings ?

Lilly

10 sec part from the video (cut and saved with VirtualDub - directstream copy): http://dfiles.eu/files/zvtyvq81k 235 MB zipped

Jan Gruuthuse

Use avidemux 2.5.6 for this kind of video. Find 8.5 MB mp4 conversion with avidemux 2.5.6: download expired.

Avidemux 2.6.1 can't (currently/defenitly) handle FPS1.

Attached mediainfo of the fraps VirtualDub cut video.

Lilly

But can I hope that Avidemux will be able to handle Fraps AVIs in the future again? Soon again?

I don't want to depend on older versions for this - old versions have old versions of the x264 encoder too.

mean

Jan Gruuthuse

@mean: Have upload the file 246 MB here: download expired

Quote from: Lilly on February 21, 2013, 11:23:37 PM
But can I hope that Avidemux will be able to handle Fraps AVIs in the future again? Soon again?

I don't want to depend on older versions for this - old versions have old versions of the x264 encoder too.
2.5.6 is not that old and does the job, you did not even downloaded the end result.

Lilly

I always used to cut and compress my Fraps videos with Avidemux 2.5, have my own HQ profile for the x264 encoder there.

My only problem is that v2.6 of Avidemux can't handle those Fraps videos anymore.

I thought it's either my machine or a bug in the software. Why would a higher version suddenly stop working with certain files.

Jan Gruuthuse

2.5.6 not 2.6
QuoteWhy would a higher version suddenly stop working with certain files.
Your choice of working with uncompressed video (frames) avi. Avidemu 2.6.# is geared towards working with newer codecs and is time based editing not frame editing.

Lilly

Fraps does compress, either almost lossless YUV (i think that one is standard) oder lossless RGB by choice. Since they use their own codec for that I don't know anymore than that about Fraps compression.

But that is something that game recoding software has in common. The choice to record lossless... and why? Because "newer" codecs use a lot of CPU power for compressing. But when one records a game the game itself requires a lot of the pc power already and when using an encoder for recording that compresses highly, then the performance drops a lot more than when using an encoder that compresses little or not at all. Though non compressing may be an overkill the for hard-drive (depending on resolution and FPS).
Also the quality of uncompressed or lossless compressed material is the best choice for editing. A lossy format should always be the last step in a video production.

Since gameplay recording has never been so popular as now it is a disimprovement to "kick" the possibility to edit such videos with Avidemux.
Though it can open Huffyuv AVI and Huffyuv is surely a really old codec.
It cannot handle Lagarith, which is newer than Huffyuv and imo better too. But that has always been the case with Avidemux anyway.
And when I open an uncompressed AVI then Avidemux flips it... playback of the video is upside down. Not really a prob considering that I can flip it back using the video filter but funny. Avidemux 2.5 couldn't handle my uncompressed AVIs.
I don't see how time based editing would have a negative effect on Fraps videos while Huffyuv is still working as usual. And even uncompressed is working now, kind of at least.

Fraps AVIs and Lagarith AVIs are the formats I work the most with when editing raw videos.
MP4 is the format I work the least with for editing, sometimes I have no choice, but my top preferred choice for exporting videos in either video editing software.

Jan Gruuthuse

Don't understand the preaching at all:
QuoteAvidemux 2.5 couldn't handle my uncompressed AVIs
You uploaded a 1/4 of GB fraps avi. I processed this with avidemux 2.5.6. I did upload this result in the 7th posting of this thread, You did not even bother to download that file: even included screenshot of avidemux 2.5.6 opening that video file
QuoteFind 8.5 MB mp4 conversion with avidemux 2.5.6: Fraps
Still going on nagging what you want and why you use uncompressed video. While doing so overlooking/ignoring a working solution.
What do you want? Using 2.6.1 with fraps avi: most likely this is not going to happen soon. Use avidemux 2.5.6, have a nice day.
Of course this is my opinion as an individual user to another user.

Lilly

You seem not to realize that I already wrote that I use an older version of Avidemux to work with my Fraps videos - only because 2.6 won't do anymore. I told so in my very first posting.

Also I told you already that Fraps DOES compress. Fraps videos are NOT uncompressed.

I feel like you don't understand my texts - is it my English?

All I want is that newer versions of Avidemux will work with Fraps videos again.
All I did here was reporting that the current Avidemux does not work with my Fraps videos anymore.
I don't want a work around solution since I do have one.