Working with demux'd DVB-T MPEG PS files in AviDemux 2.6. Tips?

Started by Dannye, February 22, 2013, 09:12:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannye

I am new to the world of recording TV with my PC (and thus don't entirely know what I am talking about) and would love to use awesome AviDemux for as much of the process as possible...

I have recorded DTV mpeg PS files which I'd like to use AviDemux 2.6.x (time-based so better for avoiding a/v sync issues?) to resize and compress/convert into something along the lines of x264mp4/aac. Trying to work with them as they are throws the 'too short' error - I assume this is because bad reception during the recordings has lead to glitches/corruptions in the file.

Most of the advice out there suggests to run the files through ProjectX which will fix and demux them, so I have done this. The problem now is that I am unable to open the demux'd video .m2v file with AviDemux 2.6.x - I get a 'Cannot find demuxer' error.

- Is there support for doing this and I am doing something wrong?
- I have tried doing the same in 2.5.6 and it works fine, but I am concerned continuing with this version could lead to a/v sync issues etc, and not be the best for converting into x264. Is this true?
- Should I 'remux' the files back together into a single MPEG and then load it into 2.6.x? If so, should I use a dedicated mux'ing program like 'mplex'/'ImagoMPEG-Muxer', or is it fine to use AviDemux 2.5.6 if I just do copy/copy to combine them into the mpeg again?

Thanks for any assistance!

Quick related questions:
- Is it better to try and do any cutting early-on, in ProjectX, or okay to do in AviDemux? (I am hoping the latter, due to AviDemux's fantastic & simple UI)
- The recording software bundled with my USB tuner allows me to record in TS or PS. Since I have the choice, what would you guys recommend, for making the subsequent editing/converting process easier? (Ignoring TS's advantages of capturing captions/etc and multiple channels at once, which is not something I need.) Over on the Doom9 forums I think, I saw a post which said: 'TS is still your best option, it offers a demuxing program the best possibilities to correct errors'. So is this the best way to go?

Jan Gruuthuse

record using .TS instead of .PS (.TS =dvb broadcasted material) very basic explanation.

zakk

It's true .m2v does not work with Avidemux 2.6 yet. You should keep using 2.5. If your recording is not too bad you can do any cutting/encoding with 2.5 without the use of another tool. I've done it plenty of times. Recording in .ts won't change anything.