Playing back .mpg & .avi (produced by Avidemux) from .ts on Android

Started by johnaaronrose, March 28, 2013, 04:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnaaronrose

Not really sure if this is Android problem. I have a Sumvision 10" Cyclone Titan tablet with resolution 1280x800 operating on ICS. I use my desktop to take movies, recorded on a Kogan 32" LCD TV (resolution 1920x1080) with Freeview which allows recording to .ts files, which I convert to .mpg  & .avi files (using Avidemux 2.6 r4861) on a removable hard drive. When I play the movies back on the desktop, I see them as full screen on any 16:9 or 16:10 monitor that I use. However, when I play the .mpg or .ts files (attaching the removable hard drive to my tablet) I see the picture as what seems to be 4:3 aspect with black bars both top & bottom. If I attach the tablet from its mini hdmi port to the TV, the picture does not go full screen but plays in a 4:3 'window' with black top & bottom bars. I've tried various Android Video Players apps including the inbuilt one which confusingly is called Gallery even though that's used for displaying photos) but they all do the same. Any ideas please?

Jan Gruuthuse

Use Mediainfo on video that plays correctly on your tablet and see what is required for video to do so?
Would/could this be of any help for tablet: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-android.html ?

Bagger

Not sure if this is of any help.

First off do they need to be MPEG or AVI ?

I do exactly the same as you are trying to do but use MPEG4 AVC (x264) as the video output and mkv as the output format.
Make sure you uncheck CABAC in the x264 options

These play perfectly with the correct AR on my Asus TF101 (ICS) tablet using MXPlayer (free)

mean

Make sure you use 2.6.3; h264 in avi was not using annexb format in older version

johnaaronrose

Thanks everyone for your replies. I've now found out the reason for my problem. My Sumvision tablet is actually 1024x768 resolution (according to Sumvision's website) not 1280x800 as the seller's website said.

Jan Gruuthuse

check Most common display resolutions in the first half of 2012 for 16:9 resolution: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution that could be usable for you.