News:

--

Main Menu

Rotate plugin: Wrong direction

Started by darkshadow, March 30, 2013, 02:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkshadow

The rotate plugin rotates the video to the wrong direction.

Currently (in 2.6), 90Ã,° means rotation to the left, 270Ã,° means rotation to the right. Nearly all other applications and especially avidemux-2.5 do it the other way round, that is 90Ã,° is right, 270Ã,° is left. The question is actually, why call it 90Ã,° and 270Ã,° at all, why not simply telling the user what it will do (rotate left, right, upside down)?

Jan Gruuthuse

If developers choose to change an option. It could be: rename drop down list 270Ã,° to -90Ã,°, that would solve the issue?
+90Ã,° rotation is counter clockwise.
-90Ã,° rotation is clockwise.
It's all a matter of convention ;)
QuoteBy convention (in maths), positive rotations go counter clockwise, and negative rotations go clockwise.

darkshadow

No, this is not only a matter of convention. It is both a usability and compatibility problem.

Avidemux-2.5:
  90Ã,° = rotate right
270Ã,° = rotate left

ImageMagick convert:
  90Ã,° = rotate right
270Ã,° = rotate left

GTK label rotation:
  90Ã,° = rotate right
270Ã,° (or -90Ã,°) = rotate left

avidemux-2.6:
  90Ã,° = rotate left
270Ã,° = rotate right

maths matrix rotation convention (apparently):
  90Ã,° = rotate left
  -90Ã,° = rotate right

So, maybe there are different conventions, but why should a user care about the degrees at all? Is it possible to rotate a video by 45Ã,°? Or 48Ã,°? I don't think so. So why not simply provide the choices "rotate left", "rotate right", "turn upside down", whatever?

It is still not clear whether this was intentional or not. But why not just leave it as before? And as you can probably see from my list, it is quite common to not follow the maths convention, as has been done in the old implementation.

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: darkshadow on April 02, 2013, 04:18:02 PM
>8>8 Is it possible to rotate a video by 45Ã,°? Or 48Ã,°? I don't think so.
45Ã,° video download 63 MB download ;)
From one user to another user, only thing I can say: "That's a developers prerogative"

darkshadow

That's nice, but isn't this -45Ã,° then?

Anyway, other questions remain unanswered.