.mpg -> .ts works but .mpg -> .mpg fails

Started by fbacher, April 05, 2013, 12:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fbacher

I use mythtv to capture HD movies from Turner Classic Movies with a Ceton InfiniTV card. I then trim the .mpg files and later encode with Handbrake. I believe the content is constant frame rate. The InfiniTV produces .ts content

In 2.5.6 I save as .mpg, but I have to shift the audio by -750ms.

In 2.6.3 I have to save as .ts with no audio shift. If I try to save as .mpg I get 6314592 underflow messages, 35498 "packet too large" messages, 1407 decode errors, 1403 uncompress errors and probably a few things I missed. I also get Bad Width/Height errors. When I save as .ts I get no where nearly as many messages.

The .ts file appears fine in XBMC. The .mpg is not usable. It starts out okay, but when you advance into the movie the audio sync is terrible and the video is jerky and slow. The audio is fine. The sync gets worse throughout the movie.

Is this a known issue? Would you like a sample? How large?

Ubunto 12.10-64, gnome, self built Avidemux 2.6.3.

mean

Jan Gruuthuse

US cable TV (NTSC)
QuoteInfiniTV is designed specifically for cable systems in North America that support CableCARD-based devices. Cable systems outside the US and Canada use a different set of technologies and technical standards for delivering TV services, such as DVB-C in Europe for digital cable or DVB-T for over-the-air digital terrestrial broadcasts.
5 seconds recording. If MythTV is able to record to mpeg-ts, this would be favorable. Avidemux could process these directly, without going from one program to another and possible introducing some errors doing so. Just me idea.

fbacher

Yes, by .mpg I mean mpeg-ps. By .ts I mean mpeg-ts.

I have uploaded a sample 20M file to http://feuerbacher.us/data/sample.mpg.

This is a fragment of an mpeg-ps file produced by mythtv from an InfiniTV cablecard on Ubuntu 12.10 64bit. I believe the content will be 1088i 30fps (or maybe 29.976). This sample will not demonstrate the audio sync problem nor the sluggishness. I think a much larger file will be required for that since I suspect that the sync problems develop slowly. It does demonstrate a ton of warnings/errors when  you try to save the file as mpeg-ps. It works fine as mpeg-ts.

I can produce a larger file, or try to narrow down a sample which will show the sync problems that I see. Just let me know, it will probably take a while.