Both 2.5 and 2.6 have stopped working after crashes?

Started by Damian227, April 12, 2013, 05:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damian227

After attempting to re-encode an MP4 file into AVI (have done dozens of times) 2.5 randomly failed and crashed. However apon restarting, it now freezes up when opening a video and refuses to work.

I moved to 2.6, everything worked great as before, until a crash and now it also refuses to open any videos and work?

I'm guessing its something to do with a temp file, only I can't seem to find them?

I'm running Windows XP Pro SP3, thanks

mean

search for a file named crash.py and delete it
it s in a hidden folder under documents and settings

Damian227

Absolutely no luck, done a full system search including hidden files. Even tried just 'crash' and all it found with Comodo's and Firefox's logs. Can't find the file anywhere?

Jan Gruuthuse

try this from windows search: crash.py <- click
or use windows manager en type %appdata% in the address bar, perhaps this even works while clicking on previous link?

Damian227

Nope no luck, still doesn't find a damn thing. I'm baffled, the program runs but as soon as I've selected the video file I want and hit open, it just locks up. Every version of 2.6 and even 2.5 are doing it out of the blue, they worked fine until recently and nothing has been changed as my pc hadn't even been on?

EDIT.
I'd like to point out only MP4 files lock up, anything else opens?

Jan Gruuthuse

then it is not a crash.py issue. That is happening when starting avidemux.
This is mp4 and used avidemux codec inside related?

Damian227

Ok at least thats sorted. I never said it was that, was just told to check that. Now Avidemux refuses to open AVI files too. Only mkv open? Surely it's not normal for a program to gradually quit functioning like this one seems to do over time?

Jan Gruuthuse

Opening avi's, is not detailed enough to figure out what is going on. The file extension .avi is only referring to the container (box) with video content: encoded video and audio track(s).
Always been like that some avi's open, others don't. These .avi are created by you? All this avi's using same video / audio codec? With mediainfo you can inspect the makeup of these avis. If the none opening avi are same kind of avi: provide a 20 MB sample, upload to Rapidshare.com or similar web service and provide a public accessible download link to it in your posting.
Windows user could then check if these still do open on their system. I check if this opens on linux.

Damian227

Ok can you suggest a program to cut a 20mb sample? As obviously I'd normally use this program but obviously can't.

I can confirm it is various file types because even files that used to open on avidemux, no longer will.

Jan Gruuthuse

No sorry. I've uploaded 2 avi's that are playing here with avidemux 2.6.3 on linux, should play on windows to 57.5 MB download unpack with 7zip. avi's that open on avidemux 2.6.3 r8580