News:

--

Main Menu

Stable version?

Started by klischee, May 18, 2013, 07:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klischee

Hi

I'm a bit confused about the avidemux windows versions. In the Forum, 2.5 is the last stable. But on the homepage, I only can find 2.6.4 and 2.5 seems to be from 2011.

I tried now about 4 different versions of the 2.6 branch and none was usable due to really highly frequented crashes, decoding errors, corrupt buttons, totally messed up jobs manager etc... 

Which version do you think should I try to receive no crashes anymore (btw the CLI is working fine, but as I want to edit a lot I also need the GUI)?

Jan Gruuthuse

latest nightly 2.6.4 for HD TV stream and h264, ...
2.5.6 for SD TV and older formats if 2.6 cannot handle these.
2.6 branch time based while 2.5.6 is video frame based.
2.6.4: http://avidemux.org/nightly/
2.5.6 or 2.5.6-1: http://sourceforge.net/projects/avidemux-mswin/files/

in %APPDATA%/ delete avidemux the config2 file
for videos previously opened with avidemux delete there related .idx / .idx2 index files.

while using avidemux cloes all none essential programs.
If you have more issues: detail issue
report what OS your are using with what hardware what video/audio codec is used in what container.
Telling a bit of everything is not much help for developers
Usage error comes in to play to.
corrupt buttons: that is a first for me in avidemux?
Take it one by one and see if the problem(s) can get sorted out.
Check these out:
- demo trim/cut/edit video 2.6 branch way
- demo avidemux jobs/queue

if issues are related to  H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, consider installing: http://www.videolan.org/developers/x264.html

klischee

Thanks for the answer!

Some Details:
Windows 7 x64
Geforce GTX 460
Intel Q6600 @4x2.4GHz

Ok so I took some time on that sunny sunday to list some bugs :D I always deleted the appdata stuff when changing versions. Here we go:

Avidemux 2.5.6-1 (x32):
1) Crash when saving project file or enqueuing job to joblist with "MPEG4 AVC". Direct output to file works.
2) Very slow decoding of 720p+ videos (so ~8fps) (WMV2 and other formats) (bug or feature? ^^)

Avidemux 2.6.3 (x32)
1) Can't decode or encode wmv2 (other wmv-formats like VC-1 are working)
2) Crashes really often while decoding (I need to test more to say if it has to do with the input formats)
3) On some wmv2 files avidemux crashes instantly when opened, and can not started anymore (freezes and crashes instantly when avidemux.exe gets started). In that case I have to delete the crash.py file manually to be able to start avidemux again.
4) Some buttons are not working: Load/Run Project, Save Project, Calculator (of course a video is opened)
5) Jobs get not entqueued when backslashes are used in the 'output file' edit control of the 'queue job to joblist'-dialog (in 2.5.6-1 "\" are ok)

Avidemux 2.6.4 (x32) (and newest trunk of this branch)
1) Same wmv-issues like 2.6.3
2) Still a lot of crashes while decoding/editing
3) Drag & drop of video files does not work anymore after closing a video (ctrl+w)
4) See 5) of above

The wmv issues are weird, because some days ago I encoded (I think it was the newest 2.6.4 trunk) successfully a wmv2-video-file. Now it is not working at all (except of 2.5), I only get green and rainbow-colored mud when opening wmv2 files. wmv2 works fine for my system, because it's no problem to edit them in other editors like vdub with dshow-avisynth.

At moment I can't use no of the versions, because all of them are crashing too often. I want to encode mostly to avc through a queue, which does not work with 2.5 (and its too slow in decoding). 2.6 on the other hand is able to queue avc and decodes videos fast, but it's crashing too often to work with...

Edit: I watched the demos but it was nothing new to me. :)

Jan Gruuthuse

wmv2 is a compression format for several proprietary codecs developed by Microsoft. While VC-1 is released by SMPTE organization and became the SMPTE 421M standard. That would explain some. It could also have Digital Rights Management.
avidemux wiki: WMV2

as 2.6 branch is not a frame editor: soame frame functions are not working: calculator

path and backslashes, perhaps developers pick up on this?
Meanwhile don't use deep/complicated paths. Spaces and none US ascii characters can cause issues/problems

720p decoding: if opengl is installed see if you have option to select other display in avidemux prefferences?

Consider dual booting and installing a 2nd os like ubuntu 12.04 LTS (good for 5 years) on spare hard disc/separate partition. Get computer nerd help doing this! It should bring VDPAU decoding to your computer (448 CUDA cores available) for decoding/playing video in avidemux.

mean

Any idea what sequence is causing the crash ?