News:

--

Main Menu

New x264 and Xvid for 2.5 branch

Started by HUNDOLOS, June 17, 2013, 10:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HUNDOLOS

First of all, sorry if this has been asked before, but it's near impossible to either look or search through all of the threads about bugs.

So let me be short and to the point:

The 2.6 branch seems to be based on a good idea, but is pretty much unusable if you want to do any work with something reliable (no offense, but encoder presets don't work, editing is glitchy and weird, and that's just what I noticed in 2 minutes of use).

However, using the 2.5 branch, you can only save things with the encoders of the time, which is years by now. So my questions is, is there, and if not, will someone be kind enough to do a version with the latest codecs, because not everyone is a programmer to compile his or her very own Avidemux. Thanks :)

Btw just to be clear: I love Avidemux, and I think it's a brilliant piece of open software for free, if you know your stuff. I just like when it works...

Jan Gruuthuse

2.5 branch is frame based editing, 2.6 branch is time based editing. That is why some things don't work in 2.6.
We are currently using branch 2.6.4 revision r8726. If it was pretty much unusable as you claim, none of us would use it on a regular basis. And as you state: if you know your stuff. It is a straight forward operation. And yes you need time and test some to find a working solution.
Sorry to see you are able to break down a good product after working 2 minutes with this lovely software. Making vague non specific complaints is not much help for other users or developer to figure out/guess what you are trying to achieve.
Most info can be found here: Avidemux wiki documentation
Have you even looked at:
demo trim/cut/edit video 2.6 branch way
demo avidemux jobs/queue

HUNDOLOS

I refuse your condescending tone.

I don't know what you use it for regularly, maybe tasks that you could do with a linear, GUI-less software anyway, but the simple fact is, (and yes, surprisingly you can easily find this all out in 2 minutes):

you can't save or load encoder presets (even the ones shipped with the software),
can't seek in an h.264/mp4 file, and
can't see the result of your picture manipulation, only when you start playback.

2.5 could do all those, and these are just the most basic features you'd expect (before you wonder, 2.5 can seek in the same file, so no, it's not the file's fault).

Not to mention the fact that you actually failed to answer my question in any meaningful manner, because you were too busy defending the bug-riddled, beta-esque 2.6 version, which was, it seems, rushed to be the mainstream one before it was ready (on Windows anyway, that's what many people are interested in, I would imagine).

I definitely didn't intend to get sucked into a debate about this, because you cannot be serious when calling it a "good product", which must be a tester's morbid fascination, but not said from a user's point of view, surely.

I hate to say all of the above anyway, because I do like Avidemux, when it works, but it would be much easier and definitely less arrogant to just admit how buggy 2.6 is as of now, and consider putting out up to date versions of 2.5, instead of conducting large scale beta testing by calling 2.6 the latest "stable" version and letting people try it.

Jan Gruuthuse

There is no tone at all in this posting, just your perception of the little information there is in the posting. From one user to another user: understand 1st the difference between a frame editor and a none frame editor. Use both along side, after a while you now when you need 2.5.6 or 2.6. Your choice to ignore this given info.

HUNDOLOS

The tone and your assumption that I don't understand the difference are both insulting.

Not to mention that time based editing, as opposed to frame based, isn't an excuse for missing features, like the ones I mentioned.

Also, you still failed to answer. Should I assume you think it's completely fine to use years old encoders when I need frame based edits, and up to date ones when I want to edit time based? Because as it is, considering my original question, using 2.5.6 and 2.6 simultaneously means exactly this.

I'm excited to see an answer this time to my actual post, not just you repeating keywords about frame editor vs. time editor.

mean

recent codec means h264
2.5 cannot properly edit h264

Furthermore, the bugginness of 2.6 is very linked to your use cases. So it might be obviously unstable for you, while for others it is very stable
As far as an updated x264 for avidemux 2.5 goes, i can do it for linux but cannot generate windows code. Gruntster is busy, so....

HUNDOLOS

Busy pestering posters with unrelated answers?

Well thanks for actually answering what I asked, I appreciate it. And to me, recent means a recent version of the actual encoder, you know, it's nice to be up to date. And I know 2.5 can't actually "properly" edit h264, but apart from the loss of the occasional 1-3 B frames from the beginning of the video (which show as green and then turn into random frames on encode), 2.5 has never let me down, if it involved only minor editing, and I like the encoding workflow a lot more than other encoders.

My emphasis wasn't on unstable, btw, the latest one hasn't crashed, but on lacking features, and the ones I mentioned aren't linked to how I use it or what kind of files I open, I think. I'm just not prepared to input my x264 encoding presets every time because saving doesn't work, or not be able to compare changes in the image on still frames like in 2.5  :\ These are useful features.

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: HUNDOLOS on June 18, 2013, 05:51:42 PM
Busy pestering posters with unrelated answers?
If even an developers answer is not sufficient?

For frequent usage:
When a video is loaded. Make your settings for the encoder. Then save settings: From main menu: File: Tinypy Project: Save As Project... use a sensible name, so you recognize what it does.
Next step: Edit the saved project: saved_name.py. Remove reference to loaded video file and marker settings.
Somewhat explained here: 2.6 audio track switching in job.py
The saved projects can be used from main menu, explained here: Custom Menu and Saved projects

Extremely simplistic explanation: time based editing uses virtual frames. There are no real frames to edit. This is why things work in 2.5.6 and do not work in 2.6.
My understanding as user and does not represent in anyway the views of developers and forum staff.

mean

Just did a quick check saving/loading x264 preset on both linux and windows (v 2.6.4)
As far as i can tell it works fine.
What exactly is the problem ?

cliffshit

There is no problem saving/loading presets on windows.
You only can't use some special characters for preset name (like "-" and more).

macduke

I don't see any evident unstability in 2.6.x as well.

I use 2.5.6-1 and 2.6.x (last nightly version) in parallel for doing different things.

It seems a little annoying but don't forget that these 2 (I use them as 2 "different" tools with quite the same GUI) are for free.... and I have criticized some 2.6.x behaviour as well, so....