News:

--

Main Menu

Crash when holding down arrow keys

Started by tuxutat, June 21, 2013, 11:30:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tuxutat

When I I hold down the arrow keys for seeking through a video, after 10-20 seconds Avidemux will crash (simply close down with no crash message). The crash can be avoided by not holding down those keys for more than a few seconds at a time.

It doesn't happen with every video, mostly higher resolution h264, so it might be some interaction between keyboard input and frame decoding times, I guess.

This has happened with all Avidemux versions I've tried so far (Win32 2.6.x, latest nightlies) on Windows XP.

zakk

You are going faster than Avidemux can decode. Just release your finger and wait for it to catch up.

Jan Gruuthuse

Try position slider with mouse to move fast forward/backwards in movie to point you want to be. Then narrow position down with keyboard keys.
See if that works for you. If not and behavior stays the same: check if you have in Preferences other possibilities for video display. Menu: Edit: [Video]: Video display.

tuxutat

Yes, I avoid holding the key down for too long. That and holding down the mouse button to seek quickly, which works nicely without crashing, no matter how wildly I try to abuse it.

There's only one video display option: "Default Raster". I've already tried changing various video options there, but nothing helps.

Could it be that keyboard input is built up while rendering frames, causing some kind of overflow?

Jan Gruuthuse

Something like that: my guess using keyboard tries to unpack/decode all video data: hence why it is slower. This would hit some bottleneck: most likely to i/o video card and memory.
I see big difference when using GPU assisted decoding/playback on VDPAU or openGL instead of using default X11 rasterizer under linux.
Have no idea what the supported video/card possibilities are under other OS.

pascal4

Same here on 2.6.4 (r8711) and past versions.

Opening H.264 clips, then keeping the left arrow key pressed to scroll through and after a while it freezes then crashes.

Any clips with H.264 encoding, tested on MP4 and MKV 720p and 1080p, it crashed.

Tried an SD FLV H.264 and it went smooth, no issues.

Tested it on DivX6 AVI 720p and MPEG SD clips, smooth, no issues.

Sometimes, right after it freezes I let go of the button and it keeps stable... luck or misshapen, IDK if it's related.

pascal4

Just got 8844... on 720p it seems it's fixed, was the issue targeted? 1080p still crashes...