is there a way to use vsfilter for chinese subtitle hard coding?

Started by Gunkoff, July 10, 2013, 04:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gunkoff

Hi, I was successful using virtualdub to hardcode chinese subtitles into a file which could be burned to DVD to watch on television via a standard DVD player. and have the chinese subtitles automatically be part of the video , without any need for the viewer to activate a subtitle file on inserting the DVD. in virtualdub , the filter 'subtitler' could not properly handle chinese, so I had to install vsfilter into the virtualdub plugins folder so that virtualdub could hard encode chinese subtitles into the video. It worked.
But virtualdub stopped working after I had to reinstall vista,  and I found out about avidemux.

in Avidemux, the subtitle filter I tried to use with the chinese .ass file is called libass, but when I muxed it with that filter , the chinese .ass file embedded incorrectly, with heiroglyphic gibberish appearing instead of chinese font.
My question is which settings did I have wrong, or if libass can handle chinese.
If libass does not do chinese,  is there a subtitler filter to use with avidemux which can handle chinese fonts?

thanks in advance for any help :)

Jan Gruuthuse

Not 100% certain about this. Think you need to try an edit the ass file with aegisub and point there to existing chinese font on your system? Save the .ass and try again in avidemux. Also increase size in avidemux, see if that helps.
Also reed this Font encoding: \fe<id>
Test with a small section of video around 1 minute in duration.

Gunkoff

hi, I originally created the chinese .ass file using Aegisub to make sure it was synched with the video etc. and saved it. It opened fine in Aegisub in chinese fonts, so it might not be a problem with the chinese .ass subtitle file itself.
Can you tell me if avidemux requires that both the video and the subtitle file have the same name and be in the same working folder etc.?

Jan Gruuthuse

No it does not for .ass file, that is needed for .srt files when playing with vlc and not hard burned/coded in to video picture.
The used Chinese font (true type .ttf) perhaps. Is also installed on the same computer?

Gunkoff

I have not installed any external chinese fonts, but Vista is configured with East Asian languages installed , if that is any help

Jan Gruuthuse

Sorry not for me: No windows here. I spent money needed for windows on 16 GB ram, never did regret this choice.
The subtitle should show in preview to check. Have you tried increasing font scale in avidemux .ass filter configure.

If this all fails, and your video is handled by avidemux 2.5.6 try with .srt subtitle, there you need to point to the used true type font.

Gunkoff

Ok, thanks I will give that a try, I will use Aegisub to synch the .srt with with the video file and export it as an .srt instead of an .ass. Then in Avidemux I will use the .srt file and see what it does with the font settings after that.

that might work

thanks again, I'll let everyone know

Gunkoff

I am brand new to this program, so I did not realize that the only available filter was libass and it appears that avidemux 2.6.4 does not have an .srt filter and can only handle  .ssa/.ass subtitle files.
how can I get it to open an .srt file?

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on July 11, 2013, 01:58:09 PM
>8 >8
If this all fails, and your video is handled by avidemux 2.5.6 try with .srt subtitle, there you need to point to the used true type font.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/avidemux/files/avidemux/2.5.6/