Erasing tags in MP4 files which Avidemux produces

Started by Bosanek, August 15, 2013, 08:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bosanek

Hello to everyone!

I have been using Avidemux v2.5 for more than a year now. Although it has a fair share of important bugs and issues, I have got accustomed to all of them and learned how to "circumvent" them, so I find Avidemux to be a immensely useful tool for my needs. I use Avidemux v2.5.3 as it happened to be the most stable for me.

However, there is one "problem" with Avidemux (in all versions as it seems) that I could not circumvent. I always output MP4 files from Avidemux. And the problem is, that Avidemux always creates two tags inside the MP4 file - a "title tag and an "artist" tag.

The title tag gets filled with a string which is equal to the string which I entered as the name of the output MP4 file during the "Save video ..." dialog in Avidemux.
So, for example, if I named my output MP4 file in Avidemux as "Helicopter trip over the Netherlands.mp4", the "title" tag in that MP4 file will be named "Helicopter trip over the Netherlands.mp4" (even the ".mp4" will be included). If I change the file name later on (for example to "Chopper trip over the Holland"), most media players will still display "Helicopter trip over the Netherlands.mp4" as the name of the video which they are playing, because they are reading it from the title tag.

The artist tag gets filled with a fixed string "Avidemux" - even more annoying than the title tag issue.

So, I have two questions (equally important):

1. How to disable Avidemux from writing any tags inside output MP4 files?

2. How to clear the tags in existing MP4 files which Avidemux had created?
Tags don't have to be entirely removed, as that would (proabaly?) imply a complete rewrite of the file - and I have hundreds of gigabytes of MP4 files which would be very painful and risky to rewrite! I would be happy just to be able to simply clear the "title" and "artist" tags (but to leave the tags), as that (proabaly?) should not imply the rewrite of the MP4 file, and should force the video players to use the actual file name as the name of the video.

I have tried to use a couple of programs to clear tags from MP4 video files (MP3Tag most notably), but all of them either could not perform the requested operation, or rewrote the MP4 files completely.

What suggestions and ideas do you have?
Remember that I need to clear/erase the tags in several hundred video files, and I would need some batch solution for that. I am not afraid to use a command-line program for that, as long as it does the job properly.

Kind regards!

Bosanek

No reply whatsoever?
Did I ask the right question at the right place (where else?) !?

mean

look at mp4box it might be able to do what you want

Bosanek

Hello,

I am trying to achieve something with mp4box, but it has its own quirks too - it writes its own UTC tags in the mp4 file which it processes. The biggest problem with UTC tags is that an UTC tag will be different each time, so that makes any such two MP4 files non-comparable later on using binary compare tools.

In other words, if I use mp4box to I make or edit an MP4 file right now, and perform exactly the same operation on a copy of the same source MP4 file after a minute, the two resulting MP4 files will be different on a binary level.

I simply want MP4 files with no tags in them whatsoever. And mp4box does not do that, it simply does its own "branding" of MP4 files in the same manner that Avidemux does.

P.S.:
Is it possible to disable writing of any tags in output MP4 or MKV files in Avidemux v2.5.x?

AQUAR

Came across this program that might help you out
MP4-Tag-Library.