News:

--

Main Menu

Can't Edit Files Converted by Avidemux

Started by claytoncarney, August 16, 2013, 09:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

claytoncarney

I have hundreds of H264/AAC files which were converted using Avidemux 2.6 (most from xvid/mp3 files).

I now find that I can't edit these files with Avidemux 2.6. The files play correctly. However, the time slider in Avidemux 2.6 does not work on these files, making it impossible to select edit makers.

I find the time slider works fine with other H264/ACC files which were not converted with Avidemux 2.6.

Any suggestions?

tuxutat

The files were probably messed up in some way. I've found that one good way to try to fix such videos is to run them through mkvtoolnix to remux them to mkv:

http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/

For example, once I was able to "fix" a video which wouldn't open in Avidemux by removing the global tags (deselecting them in mkvtoolnix).

styrol

Quote from: claytoncarney on August 16, 2013, 09:18:46 PM
I have hundreds of H264/AAC files which were converted using Avidemux 2.6 (most from xvid/mp3 files).
I now find that I can't edit these files with Avidemux 2.6. The files play correctly. However, the time slider in Avidemux 2.6 does not work on these files, making it impossible to select edit makers.
You are using AVI as container? H264/AAC  in AVI is a bad idea. Use MP4 or MKV as container format for h.264 encoded tracks.

AQUAR

I also have this problem with some down loaded videos.
Unfortunately, MKVToolnix utilities will not load avi files (at least not the version I have installed!). 

Best thing to do is to first remux these videos into a "better" container using avidemux.
The way I do that is - set both video and audio to "copy" and output to MKV.
It is a lossless process as nothing gets recoded.
Then reload the new file and edit should work as normal.
I assume this will build/add a timecode against which the AVC video can be edited.
But I am curious if this is really what happens during the remux.

tuxutat

MKVToolnix (mkvmerge GUI) does support AVI input. Most reliable remuxer of them all, has tons of features.. can't live without it.

AQUAR

Indeed it does, unlike MKVextractGUI.
Looks like mine is old anyway as I get a message that there is a newer version.
As you said, a very handy tool.   

claytoncarney

Many thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

I'm still enough of a video novice not to realize that the AVI container does not handle H264/AAC properly. I found Comparison of container formats, which clarified container/codec compatibility.

I tried performing a simple copy to an MP4 or MKV container, but that did not work. The time slider in Avidemux still did not work. I found that I had to re-encode to using the same H264/AAC codecs to resolve the problem.

mean

mkvtoolnix might work
It might be able to recreate the info lost due to avi format

claytoncarney

Thanks!!!

mkvmerge works like a charm. Outstanding!