Issues when recoding Fraps recodings in Avidemux 2.6

Started by norritt, September 16, 2013, 01:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norritt

Hi everyone,

I've been using Avidemux for quite a while now to cut and recode my DVR recordings. Except from occasional crashes due to the OpenGL preview issue it has served me well so far.

This weekend I was going to recode a fraps recording which simply uses way too much space in its raw state. Since I hadn't updated for some time I started with Version 2.6.1 (64 Bit).

Compressing to MPEG4 AVC (x264)/AAC (FAAC) 192Kbit/MP4: I got the "Too short" error
Compressing the exact same footage to MPEG4 AVC (x264)/MP3(lame) 192 kbit/MKV: The recoding finished but completely messed up the audio track. It became noisy and very low pitced - it sounded as if it was slowed down by a factor of 2 or more during the recoding process.

Due to the issues I decided to update to the latest version 2.6.5 (64 Bit)
Now I do not receive the too short error anymore but Avidemux seems to completely ignore the bitrate limits producing a file that is basically as big as the raw footage, even if I set a constant bitrate of 2000 kbit/s I get average bitrates between 35000kbit/s and 200000 kbit/s. On some recordings the new version of Avidemux also just freezes once I try to save the file.

Since the Fraps recordings are _really_ big I've not yet provided a sample file because it will be just faster to download the fraps trial version (3.5.99 - Build 15618) and record like 5 or 10 seconds of anything. If required I will upload a sample create by me, but the upload will take quite some time I guess.

P.S.: Playing the raw footage in VLC works with no issues audio seems to be present, complete and sounds nice.

mean

norritt

Hi mean,

I downloaded the file you linked here. VirusTotal is reporting a trojan inside and my virus scanner sandboxes it and says it's trying to perform suspicious operations. Could the file be contaminated somehow?

mean

norritt

Okay sorry for the paranoia but being a Windows user you have to be careful with binaries linked inside a forum. I tested the 32Bit nightly build and its still the same issue, the average bitrate goes to the roof and the resulting recoded file are huge.