x264 to xvid gives extra frames at start of file (2.5.6)

Started by cdeford, October 18, 2013, 10:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdeford

I regularly convert MKV files to xvid since my TV can't play MKV. However, I usually end up with a file that seems to output a few frames of the source file, then start again and convert the file properly. Usually this is just a handful of frames at the beginning which I can cut out easily enough, but now I need to convert quite a few files so I'd like to find out why it's happening and hopefully stop it. I think (though I'm not positive) that's it's just x264 files. When I import such a file I get the message about B-frames and frame accuracy and I always click the 'no' button about using the safer mode.

AQUAR

I also sometimes get extra frames with 2.5.6.
May look strange but: load the file - set up xvid - do the recode - all without looking at any frame beyond the start frame.
My experience is that a few frames you are looking at are put in front of the starting frame.

Best thing is to use the 2.6 branch when dealing with AVC input or use avisynth with 2.5.6.

cdeford

Usually I don't look at the video at all, just load it and convert it. I'll take a look at the 2.6 branch as you suggest. Thanks for the reply.