Why not just "cat" consecutive .VOB files?

Started by rfg, January 05, 2014, 12:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfg

I've been using Avidemux for awhile now, and I've found it useful for a number of things, however in the case of the task of simply converting a consecutive set of .VOB files (taken from a ripped DVD .iso file) into a single MPEG-PS file, I wonder what the difference is between using Avidemux, loading all of the .VOB files, and then having Avidemux write a corresponding output file, or just simply using some other tool to just simply concatenate the .VOB files into one output file.  Is there any real functional difference between these two ways of accomplishing this simple task?  And if not, then why do the resulting files produced using these two methods differ slightly in size (i.e. by about a fraction of a percent)?

P.S.  I found that using Cygwin64, simply concatenating the files (using "cat") is MUCH faster than using Avidemux to write the output file.

mean

In one case you are just merging the files
In the other you demux them, stabilize timing and remux them

For vob, you can merge them, they are just one big logical file split into several parts

rfg

So, based on your answer, it does sound like there is some advantage to using Avidemux to concatenate the .VOB files.  But could you please enlighten me and explain, briefly, what you mean by "stabilize timing"?  I have no idea what that might mean, or what the advantages of that are, if any.