News:

--

Main Menu

Avidemux, Roxio and Sony Vegas

Started by TheLostSkeleton, February 12, 2014, 08:25:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheLostSkeleton

So today I bought a Roxio Gamecap HD Pro. It spits out 720p 60fps M2TS files that Sony Vegas has trouble dealing with (it reads the video track, but doesn't know what to do with audio) and after VirtualDub struggled to transcode the video, a friend suggested I use Avidemux to make it more friendly to Vegas.

The instructions he linked me were to convert the videos to MJPEG AVI files, but this causes one of two problems:

• Avidemux kicks back the error, "Bitrate too low?" and won't start encoding.
  • Avidemux starts encoding the video, but no matter what I set the quantizer to, the file is heavily compressed.

I looked around online, tried a bunch of different combinations of things, but they all resulted in things Sony Vegas either won't read period ("Cannot open file.") or reads, but cannot use (display errors). I found two options that work, but neither are ideal solutions:

• "Copy" the source video, but re-encode the audio as MP3, output as AVI. Vegas will take this, but the editor is very sluggish and displays visual artifacts while editing (but the final rendered video seems to look fine.)
  • Video: MPEG4 AVC, Audio: AAC, MP4 (PSP) container. Vegas loves these, but they take EXCESSIVELY long to transcode - like, 2-3+ hours for 15 minutes of video. I know encoding can sometimes take a while, but never THIS long.

If anyone has any tips out there, I would be most appreciative.

Edit: Correction, using "Copy" for the source video... during rendering in Vegas, it does eventually break up. I've enclosed an image.

TheGameTipsAndMoreBlog

If I may chime in, the absolute/best/preferred codec for Sony's Vegas line of products is the PCM/wav/"Uncompressed" codec. Since you were attempting to convert the audio to MP3, try instead to use PCM/Uncompressed and it'll import perfectly every time. It is even suggested by other game recording software, such as Bandicam ( http://www.bandicam.com/support/tips/sony-vegas/ ), which I purchased a license for and use a lot for game recording in Windows (I also use Dxtory and FRAPS, which I purchased long ago).

As for the video, Vegas is sort of finicky when it comes to MPEG Part-10 (MPEG-4/AVC/h.264). I too ran into the 'trails' or corruption that can occur... After figuring out what it was, I wrote an article about it ( http://gametipsandmore.blogspot.ca/2013/06/and-more-how-to-stop-trails-and.html ) an example video can be found here, showing the before and after my adjustments in Vegas ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9qafUYM5oA ). An image like yours is attached, which is what I was seeing... The above is dealing with the Xvid MPEG-4 codec, but the concept in the same. Can you adjust the Keyframes utilized in Roxio's Gamecap? That would be optimal and then you would have no problem with the Video importing into Vegas...

As long as Vegas is accepting the AVC/video from the M2TS file from the Gamecap, the audio conversion should fix your problem entirely. I hope it all works out for you!