News:

--

Main Menu

how to advance loaded video

Started by Sylvan, February 15, 2014, 03:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylvan

Greetings,

New member and first time here. My first question is so basic I'm embarrassed to ask it but being new to video manipulation and to Avidemux perhaps you will forgive the "dumminess" in me.

Running W7 and Avidemux 2.6.6. Have an avi video that I transferred from old Hi8 Sony camcorder. Would like to split this video. Opened Avidemux and loaded the video. The first frame appears in the window on the right. I can play the video but I cannot see how to advance it to the spot I want to start the split. The only button immediately below the screen jumps back to start when I click on it and try to advance the video. This may have to do with not knowing what the function is of some of the buttons in the row above "Time".

I also have some mpg video files that Avidemux cannot open. I am assuming I have to first convert these to avi from mpg?

Thank you for taking the time to address my questions.

mean

If it is h264 in avi, avidemux will not navigate in it

Sylvan

Thank you for this reply.

Being new to all this, as I mentioned, I have no idea what h264 means or how I would know this from simply viewing this particular avi's properties. So what are my choices? Can I convert my mpg  and avi videos to some kind of format acceptable to Avidemux? If not, what else?

As a point of information what I did try was to load one of my mgps (some wouldn't open at all) and Avidemux "indexed" it (whatever that is). This time the split did work but only on screen because the final product was garbled. I could hear sounds but the video was a mess.

AQUAR

@ Sylvan,

A good starting point to begin with is to download a free application called mediainfo.
It will analyse your media file and give you information that others here can use to help you.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/files/binary/mediainfo-gui/

Sylvan

Thank you to the two people who replied. Looks like Avidemux is not the way to go for me. Splitting a video shouldn't be this onerous. On someone's recommendation I tried Windows Movie Maker. It loaded both my avi and mpgs with no trouble and split them into chunks with ease.

Thx again....

AQUAR

@ Sylvan,

Its good to find a program that works.
But if you come back to your thread, maybe try once more with avidemux 2.5.6.

Splitting video with avidemux is normally very easy.