--

Main Menu

Navigating through a file

Started by raistlin295, February 28, 2014, 10:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raistlin295

Hi all,

Newbie here with silly question  ;D

I've read the wikidocs and looked for the answer elsewhere but with no luck and I just know the answer will be blindingly obvious.

The problem is:-

I can't navigate through a video file. It plays from the start but does not react to any attempt by me to fast forward or rewind etc.

Please can somebody advise?

Thank you

AQUAR

Best to post the output of MediaInfo for your video file.

Blindingly wild guess: probably AVC in avi.

raistlin295

I'm dreadfully sorry but your use of acronyms and jargon means that I haven't a clue what you're talking about.

AQUAR

No problem at all.

Mediainfo is a free program that provides information about a media file.
You can find it at sourceforce http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/files/binary/mediainfo-gui/

Post that information for people here to respond from a factual baseline rather than a vague symptom.

AVC stands for Advanced Video Codec and is a compression technique applied to video.
AVI stands for Audio Video Interleaved and is a box/container for storing the video and audio as a single file on your PC.

Hope it helps a little bit.

raistlin295

That helps tremendously - thank you  :)

raistlin295

I hope the attached is what is needed to make an objective diagnosis.

Thank you

AQUAR

From the mediainfo data, it seems this media file uses the divx container.
That container is a modified avi container and is fine for storing those older types of streams (video, audio).

Since the 2.6 branch is geared for compatibility with modern codecs I wonder if it is able to parse/index this hack of avi container?
Maybe mean can confirm one way or the other.

Initial suggestion is to try avidemux v2.5.6 with this media file.
Avidemux v2.5.6 is a different video editor and works great with these previous generation type media files.
You can install Avidemux v2.5.6 along side its brother Avidemux v2.6.x without conflict.

Find it at http://sourceforge.net/projects/avidemux.berlios/files/?source=navbar

raistlin295

raistlin295

OK.

Thanks for your help.

A colleague at work has shown me exactly what I ought to be doing so the problem is solved.

I'm sure I would have got there with your help though  :)

Thanks again.

Rgds

Paul

AQUAR

Curious as to what resolve you're colleague provided?

The divx container is backward compatible with the avi container.
Sometimes just renaming the extension from .divx to .avi can help overcome some recognition issue.

raistlin295

Unfortunately, unable to assist.

He took the files I had with out of sync video and corrected them for me.